Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bee you mentioned making apple juice in to viniger, how long does that take. I ask because I have some good stuff that I know won't get drunk and I have some bragg's.
I put a batch on this evening. I used two cans of concentrate to 1 gallon of water. I dissolve 1 cup of sugar in this as well. The sugar content of the concentrate is not high enough to finish a 7% vinegar so I up it with sugar. I added 1 packet of EC1118 wine yeast. Bread yeast will work fine. This will take 7-10 days to ferment. After fermentation is complete let it settle for about 3 days then decant to a different container and leave the yeast bed behind. Inoculate this with about 10-12 ounces of unpasteurized ACV and leave for about 1 month. I place a piece of paper towel over the opening and fasten with a rubber band. You will see the "mother" form which is a jelly-fish looking layer on the top. If you bump the container the jelly-fish will usually settle to the bottom and a new jelly will form. This is normal. If you need more details I'll answer questions. (PM's are welcome.)

Quote:
Thanks, I have to hold off on this for a bit because of the last fiasco, Made root beer and let in sit in the bottle on the counter too long. Waking up at 6am to the sound of an explosion below us and having to clean tiny glass shards from the kitchen, dinning room, living room , and even the bathroom around the corner was not a fun way to spend a Saturday morning. My hubby remembers it all to well. He is going to take some convincing after that. I will add it to my recipe list though and when I get to it I will PM you if I run in to any problems. :)

I got my first egg today from my 19 week old California White. It's small (as I expected) but otherwise perfect. Are the first eggs OK to eat and would I be better off leaving it in the nest to encourage the 10 other hens. I have 2 golfballs in the 2 nesting boxes now.

What kind of container is used for this? covering/top? Is there anything done to the mixture during this time or does it just "sit"?
I use a 1 gallon glass container. A 1 gallon plastic vinegar container could be used as well.

Covering/top? If you mean during fermentation I use an air-lock. A balloon stretched over the opening with a pin hole on the far end will be fine. The balloon will rise up and remain upright during fermentation. When fermentation is complete the balloon will fall over.

During the fermentation stage it just sits on the counter. You will see the activity inside. After fermentation and the mixture is inoculated with unpasteurized ACV I swirl it around every 3-4 days. Not sure this is even necessary. The organisms needed are working on the alcohol converting it to vinegar irregardless of what we choose to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom