Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is hilarious. I feel like a fell asleep and woke up on the wrong thread.
lau.gif

All that reminds me -- when, exactly, did people treating chicknsh-- er, droppings as if it were nuclear waste?

I must be dumb, because it looks exactly like fertilizer to me.

Since everyone thinks they will get salmonella from handling raw chicken meat....I mean, it's all over the internet, magazines, etc. Or haven't you been educating yourself, Clay? If the mere touching of the raw meat will give you a disease, what could the fecal matter from that bird do? Just THINK of the host of bacterial in a single turd!!!!!
barnie.gif

It just looks like farm dirt to me and I very rarely wash my hands of farm dirt all day unless it's fresh, wet farm dirt and I'm getting ready to make myself a sandwich. If it's not fresh, oft times I will eat my food, lethal chicken bacteria and all....who has time to wash when yer on a roll outside and can barely take time to eat? If you stop for long the day is shot...might as well take off yer shoes and watch a movie at that point.

There is a guy on my FB that is forever posting gardening and chicken raising articles, but this guy neither gardens or raises chickens (just thinks he's an expert at both). Anyway two of the most recent ones I remember seeing one was when you do ANYTHING at all to your compost pile (add to it, turn it, use it) you MUST at all times be wearing a mask!!!!!

The other had a picture of a small breed chick standing next to a cornish x chick, the info was all about how chickens are all GMO now, or radiated or some such crap, b/c that is the only way they could get chickens to grow that quick.

1.KEEP THE OLD CHICKENS THEY TEACH THE YOUNG ONES AND DON'T THINK a Brody hen is SICK or that a broody hens new baby chickens ARE ALIENS it also stabilize the Peacking order

2. LET THEM FREE RANGE or kinda weather in a tractor or the backyard fenced or even their run please they are less expensive kill Pestey bugs the eggs are helthier tAke care of your yard without the exile dive chemicals and guess what ? Less clean up for you

3.VITAMAN C GIVE IT TO SICK CHICKENS I ONCE HAD A CHICKEN A STILL DO BUT SHE IS NOW HELTHEY AND SHE WASS DYING PUT VTAMAN C IN HER WATER NOW SHE'S HELTHEY

4. RESCUE MY WHITE LEGHORN I GOT HER FROM a factory farm rescue and even tho her Beack is cut off she is verry HELTHEY to learn more about the rescue go to animalplace.com u can even sometime find the breed u want on craigslist

5. Love them feed them and make sure their protected u can even use metel sheats for underground

These are my tips Aurelia

Yep....lot of crazy stuff out there that people are swallowing hook, line and sinker. If it's in a mag with shiny pages and bright pics or on a site that looks all woodsy and back to the landish, then it is gospel according to Luke to the general public.

Germophobia and city folks thinking they have a grasp on agriculture and the myriad aspects thereof have led a whole generation down a very strange path, IMO.

Since everyone thinks they will get salmonella from handling raw chicken meat....I mean, it's all over the internet, magazines, etc. Or haven't you been educating yourself, Clay? If the mere touching of the raw meat will give you a disease, what could the fecal matter from that bird do? Just THINK of the host of bacterial in a single turd!!!!!
barnie.gif

It just looks like farm dirt to me and I very rarely wash my hands of farm dirt all day unless it's fresh, wet farm dirt and I'm getting ready to make myself a sandwich. If it's not fresh, oft times I will eat my food, lethal chicken bacteria and all....who has time to wash when yer on a roll outside and can barely take time to eat? If you stop for long the day is shot...might as well take off yer shoes and watch a movie at that point.

Did you ever notice how your own farm dirt is OK, but other peoples farm dirt make you want to throw up? I could never figure that out.

w.

barnie.gif

Your biosecurity is APPALLING! But then, mine consists of taking off my boots when I come inside (if I remember) and washing my hands (if I remember). As far as eating -- when I'd finished the newest coop (my first real, walkin coop), at the first good rain we had, I made a drink and went out and drank it in the coop while I watched for leaks. Amazing I haven't died of Marek's or something by now, for all the chicken nasties!

There is a guy on my FB that is forever posting gardening and chicken raising articles, but this guy neither gardens or raises chickens (just thinks he's an expert at both). Anyway two of the most recent ones I remember seeing one was when you do ANYTHING at all to your compost pile (add to it, turn it, use it) you MUST at all times be wearing a mask!!!!!

The other had a picture of a small breed chick standing next to a cornish x chick, the info was all about how chickens are all GMO now, or radiated or some such crap, b/c that is the only way they could get chickens to grow that quick.

Oh, good lord, let's all go back to nature -- wearing a hazmat suit!

I used to think people who don't know the difference between GMO and hybrid needed education; lately I think they need, ah, culling. I mean, a hug!

Last edited:
Beekissed, you definitely need to include some humor in your book! It will make it more interesting!
I have been laughing at the silly direction this thread has taken-especially the thought of a "house Emu" sitting on the couch watching tv and wearing a huge diaper!
lau.gif

Depends on the other farm/person...I've seen some that are just old country farms and I'd trust their dirt/manure with my life. I've seen some that I wouldn't let my dog take a dukey on, let alone trust that their dirt was in a healthy balance.

Whenever I see barren, wet earth in small pens of animals/chickens and overstocking in barns/pastures...I know that the wrong kind of germs are king and ruler of that land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom