Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i now have all the knowledge of how to boil an egg. i was about to go to the college to ask. however i could never get a fresh laid egg to peel.

That is exactly the kind of advice I need, Beekissed. Thanks!!!
edited to ask: what is this roo dance of which you speak? Or will I know it when I see it?

You will know it when you see it...it is sort of a sideways shuffle with wings spread a little, hackle feathers puffed out, high dancing style steps. This is used prior to mating and also prior to confronting another roo. A lot of folks think it's cute in youngsters but it's not so cute when they grow 2-3 in. spurs and can inflict some damage. Best to nip it in the bud before they get more confidence and better equipment.

ep.gif
OH NOOOOOoooooooooooo!
My BCM HEN, I mean pullet did this the other night to my barn cat! We were hanging out in the run (me and the cat) while the girls were finishing up some treats and she came rushing over - stomped her feet several times - wings held just out a little - head down and gave the cat a SERIOUS stink eye.
Oh no, oh no, oh no..... maybe she's not a she after all.........?

Last edited:
I saw this dance yesterday when my 14-week old Minorca cockerel was trying to initimidate my Buckeye cockerel of the same age. There were a few juicy pieces of lettuce on the line, so it was serious business. The Minorca won the showdown. He was the first to start crowing, and has started his practice mounts on the pullets. Or is at least attempting to... He's a beautiful bird, but if he does that dance in my direction, he's a goner.

I've never had the pleasure of disciplining an unruly roo since we can't have them inside the city...but it does remind me of an encounter I had with my neighbor's chihuahua a month ago. I just had gotten home from work and was carrying some groceries in with me as I unlocked my front door and I caught the movement of an animal in my peripheral vision. That little ******* came rushing me on my own front porch out of nowhere! I proceeded to boot the little ******* 15 ft into the side of my truck and I haven't heard a peep from him since. I'd imagine the maneuver would be just as effective with a bird.

So, I have a question regarding cedar. I'm sure this is a classic, but, can cedar be put in the chicken pen as ground cover and bedding? We used to have a guini pig that we had to get cedar shavings for since the store was out of pine shavings and we needed them then. Well, the guini pig has since died of old age and there is a big bag of cedar just sitting in our utility closet. I know for a fact that if I make a thread for this on BYC all the chicken-eers will say that cedar is harmful to chickens do to the oils it contains regardless of any experience they may or may not have. I don't know if I believe that or not. My thinking is that cedar's oils have never bothered me one bit, so why would it hurt a chicken? What are you OT's opinion? I will not be using cedar long-term if I do, just until this bag is used up.
In answer to your question... I think it is fine to use cedar chips IF you have plenty of ventilation. I use them all summer, not in my coop (not all that well ventilated in my opinion, but id hasn't bothered me enough to fix it) but I use it around the edges outside my coop, and I use two or three bales in the run. I love the way it smells, but the flies don't and it helps keep them(flies) at bay. The hens don't seem to mind the smell and get the shavings all mixed up in the dirt where they take their sand baths. I truly believe it helps with mites, lice & other parasites as well. I don't dust my hens all that often, but when I do, I seldom see anything on any of them, and I check often. Those little bugs just give me the heebie-jeebies, and I sure don't want them on my chickens!!

I think the reason people are told not to use them in mice/hamsters cages, etc is 1) there is a chemical reaction with amonia (urine) that occurrs, and 2) their cages are usually very enclosed (ie aquarium w/ lid, habitrails, etc.) In such enclosed spaces, I can see how it would be a problem. My son, after he left home, nearly lost his beloved boa because he had her on cedar. She kept going to the top of the cage to breathe! Poor thing.

So, I have a question regarding cedar. I'm sure this is a classic, but, can cedar be put in the chicken pen as ground cover and bedding? We used to have a guini pig that we had to get cedar shavings for since the store was out of pine shavings and we needed them then. Well, the guini pig has since died of old age and there is a big bag of cedar just sitting in our utility closet. I know for a fact that if I make a thread for this on BYC all the chicken-eers will say that cedar is harmful to chickens do to the oils it contains regardless of any experience they may or may not have. I don't know if I believe that or not. My thinking is that cedar's oils have never bothered me one bit, so why would it hurt a chicken? What are you OT's opinion? I will not be using cedar long-term if I do, just until this bag is used up. 

I don't know. I've never tried it. Two things I do know. Some birds have relatively delicate respiratory systems. Miners keep canaries with them. If the canary dies, it’s time to get out. The air is bad. When I was in the Army many decades ago, we kept canaries around us when working around poisonous gas ordinance. This was specifically in a school to learn how to disarm explosive ordinance. Same thing. If the canary died your gas mask better be working. I know canaries are sensitive to bad air. I'd guess chickens are too.

Back when things were done this way, a girl was given a cedar chest to keep her trousseau in. Wool items were stored in cedar chests because the smell kept the moths away. I don't know of the cedar fumes killed the bugs or just discouraged them from hanging around.

I'd think if you had good ventilation it would be OK, like outside in a run. Chips would be safer than shavings. But I've never tried cedar shavings and I never intend to so I really can't advise you.

The roos you describe are much too young to be mounting hens or even crowing full time...just practice crows, maybe...maybe the 3 mo. old may be entering that territory but the 9 wk old have quite a ways to go.

Eventually you may have too many roos for the number of hens so you might want to monitor signs of overuse on hen's backs and on the back of the head.

I'd leave your LS alone and see how he develops. If you are confident, calm and assertive in your dealings with your chickens, most roosters won't be a problem. Occasionally a young roo will forget his place and do a little dance towards you in a threatening way~this is when I leave a BIG, over the top impression. The first time is the last time at my place and the correction might take around 5-10 min. depending on how much fun you're having with it.

I keep a light weight fiberglass rod for herding sheep/chickens if the need arises...it's flexible and doesn't cause any damage but it can put the sting on a roo's behind. I also have light, old dead limbs I keep in the coop for this~I call them roo sticks...better to have one and not need it then to need it and not have it. When the roo does his dance at me, I advance towards him until he is running away...then I lie in wait for him to come back in the coop to eat with the rest of the flock.

When he gets his head in the pop door I surprise him with a WHAM against the walls right beside him. If he persists in ducking into the coop, I'll chase him with the stick and either bop his bottom or lightly touch his back every time he stops, or even whack the floor beside him as he frantically runs and dodges to get out of the coop. In other words, I turn the tables until he gets the message....he doesn't ever want to ambush me again because this big rooster isn't content to just let him run away, it lies in wait and jumps him.

Not only is this fun to do and watch, it leaves an everlasting impression in that roo's mind. I've never had to repeat the performance for any particular roo and the total and utter surprise on the roo's face is priceless and good for many chuckles later. It's much more fun than trying to aim a kick at a fleet roo that may or may not connect and it also keeps your legs from getting in the way of his possible retaliation...though I've never had one that wanted to retaliate. They pretty much were content to walk a very wide berth around the crazy lady after those shenanigans!

Oh, the joys of keeping chickens! Every once in awhile it affords one some great amusement that is filled with cheaply won joy!
big_smile.png
I've been reading all day and I'm having the best time LMAO, you OT's are a hoot! I haven't been on BYC since Friday.

Anyway Bee I'm curious about this approach and I wanted to ask what you think about a small run-in I had with my Rooster. He is a 16 month OEGB, very small and usually pretty easy going, but he has gotten a little "overwhelmed" (at least it appears that way to me) with all the new girls I added this spring (he was used to only 3 and I added 8 more). I always carry a light weight broom with me when I tend to the chickens and I needed to leave the property so I was trying to get everyone back in the coop. (I've lost an entire flock before while I was away.) They usually can be convinced to come into the coop with dried mealworms as a bribe but they just weren't having it that day so I started scooting the girls into the coop with the broom. He got sideways with me and attempted to flog and so I whopped him with the broom once, and yelled loudly and firmly NO! and I stood my ground with him, staring him down and he didn't make another advance at me. He hasn't since. So, my question is, do you think this did the trick for him or should I still be on guard for an unexpected "flogging"? I still carry a broom just in case. I appreciate the lesson in "schooling a Rooster" as I am now ready if he ever decides to take a go at me again! (Insert Evil laugh here)

It sounds like your correction was timely and effective, so you may not have to school him anymore. Many people who read this type of post claim they don't want roosters that they have to carry a stick for all the time. What they fail to realize is that you won't have to carry a broom or a stick after the initial moment if it is done effectively.

Just like with children...if you spend your days swatting them lightly on the bottom as a correction, you've only managed to make the child irritated and they don't remember the lesson....the swat has to be quick, painful and effective so that you won't have to give another for many more months.

I'm glad you like the thread and it sounds like you are using what you know with good results.
thumbsup.gif

In a note about cedar....I used it once and a couple of donated birds had breathing problems. I gave them away to someone who wanted pets and there wasn't any more problems. I'd say that if a bird already has poor constitutions, it may just affect their breathing. The only thing you can do is try it a little at a time and see the results in your individual flock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom