Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
one would think. But the net is full of so much BAD information on keeping chickens that it is probably a difficult task for someone who wasn't brought up either on farms or around farms. Lets look to Facebook for a second. The LARGEST chicken page is by 3 women who combines before this year owned less than 3 dozen chickens. all are relocated city girls. The main woman strongly DISCOURAGES broody's because she "read once" that broody chicks aren't as friendly. And because she "once" hatched chicks in an incubator and had a 100% hatch. And then goes on talking like that is the norm. I could go on and on, but I think my point is made. Much of what can be read, especially on the internet is just plain bad information. That is what makes this thread so important.
I agree 100%. Some of the worst info I've ever recieved online was on brooding baby chicks. They need to be kept at 95 degrees for the first few weeks? I don't think so.

one would think. But the net is full of so much BAD information on keeping chickens that it is probably a difficult task for someone who wasn't brought up either on farms or around farms. Lets look to Facebook for a second. The LARGEST chicken page is by 3 women who combines before this year owned less than 3 dozen chickens. all are relocated city girls. The main woman strongly DISCOURAGES broody's because she "read once" that broody chicks aren't as friendly. And because she "once" hatched chicks in an incubator and had a 100% hatch. And then goes on talking like that is the norm. I could go on and on, but I think my point is made. Much of what can be read, especially on the internet is just plain bad information. That is what makes this thread so important.

Okay. Not an OT. Book learnin' and only four months of chickenkeeping. Less experience than any one of those three women. So I could be wrong here (understatement of the century) but . . . .

It occurred to me when my wee chicks were in the brooder that they'd probably be a lot better off with a hen who could teach them how to be chickens. I'm not very good at scratching up bugs or figuring out when the chicks are too hot or too cold, etc. I bet a hen is pretty good at that.

I think that might be common sense knocking me on the head.

Last edited:
Okay. Not an OT. Book learnin' and only four months of chickenkeeping. Less experience than any one of those three women. So I could be wrong here (understatement of the century) but . . . .

It occurred to me when my wee chicks were in the brooder that they'd probably be a lot better off with a hen who could teach them how to be chickens. I'm not very good at scratching up bugs or figuring out when the chicks are too hot or too cold, etc. I bet a hen is pretty good at that.

thumbsup.gif
some have it, some never will. I have 2 favorite sayings about chickens. 1st is" they survived 10,000 years without human help and if anything we have weakened them." 2nd is "if chickens couldn't hatch their own eggs they would have been extinct years ago. OK I have 3 favorite sayings. The 3rd is " mama hen is a better chicken than I am".

You also learned real quick where to find the things you wanted to know...shows true intelligence. I'm a nurse and I wouldn't give two shakes for a nurse who won't look things up and will just pretend to know something to save face. Same with doctors...I'd far rather have a doctor that will look a drug up or an illness, than one that just guesses at what they don't remember from school.

I'm starting to think that "looking stuff up" is becoming a Forgotten Secret of the Old Ones! Maybe it's just me, but I grew up thinking that if there's nobody to teach you something, it's time for a trip to the library.

Assuming that one doesn't have a grandmother, uncle, or whatever to learn from, Reading is Fundamental. I know that book larnin' isn't tne end-all and be-all, but in the absence of a mentor, it's a good place to start.

I want to make a drinking game:

Ttake a decent poultry-raising book, say Storey's Guide by Gail Damerow, or something older. Now, read threads here, and take a drink every time someone asks a question answered in that single book.

"When do I switch my chickens to layer feed?" *gulp*
"What should I put on the floor of the coop?" *slurp*
"How big should the run be for two silkies?" *chugchugchug*

And so on...

(Note: please do not drive after playing this game. If you're reading this thread, I'd miss you.)

lau.gif
Though I'm not a fan of Storey's guide to anything to do with livestock, you are correct. The very simple things to know, these books can answer....but even their basic information is pretty off if you compare it to real life.

Someone once said that you can be banned from web sites for showing too much common sense.....and everything you read online is true....
When I was a kid the criteria was that you had read it printed somewhere in a book....that also made it true. But now there are millions of places to read it and millions of "experts" who are experts cuz they read about it....once.

Walt

I'm starting to think that "looking stuff up" is becoming a Forgotten Secret of the Old Ones! Maybe it's just me, but I grew up thinking that if there's nobody to teach you something, it's time for a trip to the library.

Assuming that one doesn't have a grandmother, uncle, or whatever to learn from, Reading is Fundamental. I know that book larnin' isn't tne end-all and be-all, but in the absence of a mentor, it's a good place to start.

I want to make a drinking game:

Ttake a decent poultry-raising book, say Storey's Guide by Gail Damerow, or something older. Now, read threads here, and take a drink every time someone asks a question answered in that single book.

"When do I switch my chickens to layer feed?" *gulp*
"What should I put on the floor of the coop?" *slurp*
"How big should the run be for two silkies?" *chugchugchug*

And so on...

(Note: please do not drive after playing this game. If you're reading this thread, I'd miss you.)

Gail Damerow (Luttmann) is a good example of a good writer being able to convince people she knows chickens. When she was Gail Luttman (Chickens in your Backyard) she actually had some chickens, but she didn't do any of the things you read about in her books. She was a neighbor and I worked at a university with her hubby of the time. I cared for her birds when they were away, so I am very aware of her chicken raising skills. . She has a writing style that appeals to a lot of people, but most the info is stuff that has been around for.......a century.

Walt

Someone once said that you can be banned from web sites for showing too much common sense.....and everything you read online is true....
When I was a kid the criteria was that you had read it printed somewhere in a book....that also made it true. But now there are millions of places to read it and millions of "experts" who are experts cuz they read about it....once.

Walt

Somebody once pointed out that the good news about the Internet is that brilliant experts will answer your question, and the bad news is that everybody else will answer your question, too. ;)

Anyone who has ever really raised chickens can read those books and find hundreds of things in them that are....off...or simply not realistic in the real world. They are advice that is given that is very general and safe to USDA standards. Sort of like all the websites and books on canning food and such.....they have to stress what they consider to be the "safe" way~ according to the government~ to can foods. I can almost guarantee you that the people that develop these standards of poultry care or canning safety have never really kept chickens or canned foods in a real setting...merely scientifically controlled settings.

They just don't translate into the real world of doing anything.

THIS is precicely what I am trying to say. Educate yourself, and find out for yourself what works & what's B.S.! This is precicely why I spend so much time promoting READING with the therapy dogs at the library...People have gotten so lazy - thanks in large part to the internet - that they have forgotten how to glean and sort through information...The internet is great but there is such a thing as INFORMATION OVERLOAD, and, bless us all, we need our COMMON SENSE to sort through it!

There ya go, normanack, there ya go! Good on you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom