Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bee, I might have mentioned it before, and I'm sure I posted it on another thread at some point because I remember getting scolded for torturing those poor chickens, but....

I remember several times growing up when our flocks would get scaly leg mites. This was almost always right after bringing in new chickens from somewhere. Pa's treatment was always the same.

Pa would go out and pitch a hand full of Sevin dust in the nest boxes, take an old paint brush and coat the peeled pole roost poles with burnt motor oil then catch any chicken that looked like it had mites. He would cut a small square of cloth (usually from an old flannel shirt) and dip it in kerosene then tie it around the legs of the chickens that had mites with a piece of cotton string. By the time the chicken managed to pick the wrap off (usually a couple of days), there would be no sign of mites and the legs would slough off and look as smooth as a baby chicks legs.

Not natural organic products... but it darn sure worked.

Folks get up in arms with me talking about the old timey cures for stuff using petroleum products and poison, but they put diapers on their chickens and let them stay in the house. Not sure which would be the most un-natural?
idunno.gif

Not knocking anyone with house chickens. It's their house after all, they can do what they want. But any chicken that comes in my house is ready to cook.

Always wondered one thing though... If you have a diaper on a chicken why would you need a nest box? Wouldn't you just fish the egg out of the poopy diaper?
hide.gif

lol.png
My thoughts exactly...although I doubt birds in diapers are kept for their egg laying capabilities, so I'm thinking those occasional eggs would be scrambled into a fluffy, golden treat and fed back to the little darlings. Now THAT'S recycling!

My granny would use kerosene on any birds that had a cough...hold them down and eye dropper it in....cough gone the next day. I just had an issue with a stray that was severely flea infested and had wrestled around with my dog while playing. The stray was dispatched and my dog was promptly given a bath...with kerosene in the water. Worked miracles and made his coat shine like a new penny...and the smell warded off any further flea attempts. Now, I don't normally bath my dogs on a normal basis but this was one time where he needed a little help.

I can't say enough good things about the Nu-Stock for leg mites and even as a preventative on the roosts. It works on wounds for fast healing and it is said it really works on hot spots...never had any dogs with those but I'd whip out the NS if I did. Pine tar and sulfur....old-timey as you can get!

lol.png
My thoughts exactly...although I doubt birds in diapers are kept for their egg laying capabilities, so I'm thinking those occasional eggs would be scrambled into a fluffy, golden treat and fed back to the little darlings. Now THAT'S recycling!

My granny would use kerosene on any birds that had a cough...hold them down and eye dropper it in....cough gone the next day. I just had an issue with a stray that was severely flea infested and had wrestled around with my dog while playing. The stray was dispatched and my dog was promptly given a bath...with kerosene in the water. Worked miracles and made his coat shine like a new penny...and the smell warded off any further flea attempts. Now, I don't normally bath my dogs on a normal basis but this was one time where he needed a little help.

I can't say enough good things about the Nu-Stock for leg mites and even as a preventative on the roosts. It works on wounds for fast healing and it is said it really works on hot spots...never had any dogs with those but I'd whip out the NS if I did. Pine tar and sulfur....old-timey as you can get!
I don't know, Bee. I mean, isn't that cannibalism or something to feed Buffy, Fluffy and Muffy their own eggs??? Shouldn't we feel guilty about taking their eggs away from them? Isn't it cruel to feed them their potential offspring?
tongue.png

Well, since one of the reasons they apply diapers is to keep the rooster from breeding her, then the eggs are not potential children, just blanks. She's shooting blanks.
big_smile.png
And if you disguise the eggs as fluffy, cooked foods the little dears won't know they are eating their blank non-babies.

would using bread wrapper twistys on some chickens legs work to keep them identifide? make little rings out them on there legs or will they work at them to get them off ..and or what would you use to do this purpose with? ty

would using bread wrapper twistys on some chickens legs work to keep them identifide? make little rings out them on there legs or will they work at them to get them off ..and or what would you use to do this purpose with? ty

I'd like to know too. I thought about zip ties. What say you OTs?

I've used zip ties with success, just be careful that you place them for growth. The chickens don't even notice they are there. You can get all colors and sizes and they last forever. I've got one hen that has been wearing the same zip tie for 5 years.

In my whole 3 years of experience I've used Zip Ties too, and they worked great but I did have to check the fit and replace as they grew. With another batch I used the velcro ties you get at hardware stores or whatnot for tying cables up, that are multicolored. Those worked great! They tended to loosen as the birds grew so long as I didnt' cut the tabs off too short or at least were easier to adjust. Now, that's only for 12 or less. If I had 100, I'd be going for zip ties, MUCH cheaper!

On the chicken and dumplings issue, the dumplings mean something different in the south. I was raised in the north with German great grandparents and dumplings were light as feathers blobs that floated on top of the dish. I made the mistake of ordering chick and dumplings where I now live in the south and it is a wide, thick, flat noodle. don't know how the german ones could go in a jar.

On the chicken and dumplings issue, the dumplings mean something different in the south. I was raised in the north with German great grandparents and dumplings were light as feathers blobs that floated on top of the dish. I made the mistake of ordering chick and dumplings where I now live in the south and it is a wide, thick, flat noodle. don't know how the german ones could go in a jar.
well im from the south and .dumplings to us are fluffy biscuit type floating in some chicken..to me ..if it has noddles..its chicken and noddles hands down :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom