Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not an OT (or ridgerunner obviously
wink.png
), but i'm pretty sure somewhere earlier in this mountain of a thread is where i saw it discussed before. you can put the zip ties on pretty loosely, just so long as it's not loose enough to actually fall of their feet (which can mean surprisingly loose). i use a relatively thick tie, probably a little over 1/4" wide, and have it loose enough to where i'm sure i could squeeze a finger (end of my pinky anyway) between the tie and the leg. zero problems so far, either with ties falling/breaking off or the chickens being even mildly bothered by them.

ETA ridgerunner beat me, so i just feel silly now lol
hide.gif
Those zip ties still scare me. A bandette has give in it, not much, but some. I'd still rather use those.

On another topic ......does anybody but me use a creep feeder for chicks and young birds? I have a 6' x 6' area that is fenced off from all the big birds, with an adjustable gate opening that allows young birds to eat and drink undisturbed. Boy, do they take advantage of it! Instead of hurridly snatching a mouthful before they are rudely run off by the biggies, they come in, and stuff at leisure. The payoff in growth is phenominal due to no stress. Chicks with hens do not have this problem witth eating, but youngsters joining a flock without a mom certainly have a rough time of it for a few weeks. Any body else use a creep???

I have never heard of that before. What does it look like?
Just a fenced area that has a horizontally sliding door to keep the bigger birds out. I put all babies in there for a night or 2 when I introduce them to the flock. They then know there is food and water in the creep after that, and no body can pick on them while they're eating. The babies can come and go as they want.

I understand now. I sort of do the same thing. I have 2x3 wire fencing area inside my grow out pen. Small chicks can get through the 2x3 if they need to get away quick from a bigger chick while they are still small enough.

I cut small holes from gal. milk jugs that fit little heads but not big ones, and keep it full of food, and wired to the side of the fence. Sometimes I put branch sticks around it, to let it little ones, but not big ones. I feed all my babies from these jugs, so they always know where the food is too be found. A larger version (higher holes) is what I use for brooding ducklings, as they can drink, but not soak everything.

yes, I've used a creep feeder before and will again for the latest batch of chicks after they are weaned. I just use a roll of chicken wire and slip it under the fence into the brooder pen, they learn quick how to get in there and keeps me from having to make a huge throw area. This way I know the smaller on are getting a fair share and my piglet layers can't gobble it and had to go hunt for some exercise.

May I please get some education on the best methods of sending your chickens to "freezer camp"? We have a few birds we will need to cull before October and this is our first flock. Thanks!

i'm not an OT, but back in the annals of this thread there was a link to this video that i found pretty informational. it's a 2 parter. hope it helps!

May I please get some education on the best methods of sending your chickens to "freezer camp"? We have a few birds we will need to cull before October and this is our first flock. Thanks!

i'm not an OT, but back in the annals of this thread there was a link to this video that i found pretty informational. it's a 2 parter. hope it helps!

Check out these links. Most are from the Cooperative Extension services.

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2114/ANSI-8400web.pdf

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/livestocksystems/DI0701.html

http://smallfarm.about.com/od/farmanimals/ss/processchickens.htm

http://www.butcherachicken.blogspot.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom