Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. City girl here. LOL. Why do they call them runners? Do they run as a defense instead of fly? Also, I love to cook with duck eggs when I can get them. My mother-in-law had a few ducks, and once I heard her say that she kept them for bug control, but that they ate way too much feed for just one egg a day. They were what she called mutts, but they were my favorite of her poultry. I like the looks of those long necked ones. Those are the runners, right? Brie

OK. City girl here. LOL. Why do they call them runners? Do they run as a defense instead of fly? Also, I love to cook with duck eggs when I can get them. My mother-in-law had a few ducks, and once I heard her say that she kept them for bug control, but that they ate way too much feed for just one egg a day. They were what she called mutts, but they were my favorite of her poultry. I like the looks of those long necked ones. Those are the runners, right? Brie
Not sure why they are called runners other than the fact they can't fly and are herding ducks. Ours walk in single file a lot of the time. Look like a line of school kids going to the bus stop.

We eat a lot of duck eggs. A little stronger tasting than chicken eggs, but not enough to notice really. Everyone says the eggs are great in baking, but I'm no cook.

Our's free range and eat very little. They do clean up under all our raised coops, keeps the spilled feed from the other fowl from going to waste.

Indian Runners are named for their upright stance, which was reminiscent of the upright stance, and sinlge file habits, or the Native Americans. (I'm an encyclopedia of useless infromation)

A week ago, I would have never thought I would ever want to keep farm animals. After reading this thread, tho, I'm sure changing my mind. I am almost through the 400's. Our lives are so hectic, I'm sure thinking a simpler way of life would be great for us and our kids. My kids already know so much more than me, they make fun of me! Brie

We just started raising bei this year, so new to those too.

How about a picture of yours to drool over when you get time?

Been raising the blue runners for a couple of years now, looking forward to seeing this years birds grow out.

I have raised the Indies for a long time.

A pen of young almost ready to go to the flight pen.

Show ready.

Walt

Wow! Those are BEAUTIFUL DUCKS! I so want some. Want to trade a pair of Anconas for some Indies? Will trade eggs of any of three ducks, or come spring, sebastopol or buff dewlap toulouse or even turkey (midget white or burbon red) for some hatching eggs.

Now, these fly right? Do they totally take off on your, or just sort of circle the neighborhood?

They can fly very well. Most of the time they would stay in this area if they got out, but last year I had a best waterfowl Indie fly out of the carrying box after I brought her home from a show and I have never seen her since. My cages are large enough to allow them to fly, but they hardly ever fly unless I try ot catch them. You could clip a wing, but I don't. I even keep the mallards with full wings and the mallards I have can explode from the ground and go straight up. they are very powerful flyers.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom