Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie question; what is Calf Manna?
Calf Manna is a supplement made for calves, horses, goats, birds, etc., that provides a lot of vitamins and minerals for optimum growth. I have used it on dogs ( English Mastiffs ) also, with great results.It comes in a pellet, which you have to smash if you are going to feed it to young birds. It's well worth it. I would not try to condition a show bird without it. It works wonders for young layers to be also. No problem with soft shells if you've fed CM.

Evening all, I guess Oklahoma is burning!!! We have about 5 fires going in the state today, it officially got to 113* today in OKC that ties the all time record!!! It was overcast around our house today and was a great welcome to the heat, it was still in the hundreds but not quite as bad, we have not lost any more chickens thank the lord! Have a great day, Lynn
cool.png

We had our share of fires in Texas Last year. Bastrop, too close for comfort, nearly burned up. My mother in law lost several of her fences out here in West Texas. She replaced them all with drill pipe posts, and had to weld the toprails at night because it was so hot! The Sheriff came out and gave her a ticket for the sparks, too, even though everything had already burned and there was nothing left but charred earth! It took her forever to get her fences back up! Oklahoma is in our prayers as we continue them for Colorado as well. Good luck! Brie & Bryan

Good afternoon! Brie here.

Well, we have finally got therapydoglady's house all packed and the moving vans are here to take everything to our perspective houses. Much has been donated to an organization called "Greater Works." My sister-in-law and I will stay on tonight and clean it from top to bottom tomorrow & all utilities will be turned off Monday, so will be signing off for now.

When we get back home, you can bet I'll subscribe to this thread to be able to keep reading. Bryan and I have decided that we will strive for a simpler life, and will start looking for a plot of land somewhere close enough to our jobs. The kids want chickens, definitely. I want ducks, and Bryan is eyeing goats. he grew up on fresh goatmilk, and has milked them all his life. We think
letting go of our hectic lifestyle can only lead to good things. Can't wait!

We, as her family, have decided that the poetry written by therapydoglady MUST be published, so my sister-in-law and I will tackle that in the very near future. It is much to funny, vivid, and priceless to be kept to ourselves.

Thank you all for being so gracious and accepting, and thanks for the links to help us get aquainted with other chicken people and also to help us go to some poultry shows. I think that will be the very best way to choose what we really want, and what will fit us

Thanks again, Brie.

Well, we have finally got therapydoglady's house all packed and the moving vans are here to take everything to our perspective houses. Much has been donated to an organization called "Greater Works." My sister-in-law and I will stay on tonight and clean it from top to bottom tomorrow & all utilities will be turned off Monday, so will be signing off for now.

When we get back home, you can bet I'll subscribe to this thread to be able to keep reading. Bryan and I have decided that we will strive for a simpler life, and will start looking for a plot of land somewhere close enough to our jobs. The kids want chickens, definitely. I want ducks, and Bryan is eyeing goats. he grew up on fresh goatmilk, and has milked them all his life. We think

We, as her family, have decided that the poetry written by therapydoglady MUST be published, so my sister-in-law and I will tackle that in the very near future. It is much to funny, vivid, and priceless to be kept to ourselves.

Thank you all for being so gracious and accepting, and thanks for the links to help us get aquainted with other chicken people and also to help us go to some poultry shows. I think that will be the very best way to choose what we really want, and what will fit us

Thanks again, Brie.
thumbsup.gif
Yeah! Let us know when they get published-I want that book too!

Thanks again, Brie.

BYC is great for poultry, but there is a better place for goats and other livestock. Its BYC sister site at http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/

Safe travels to all!

Greetings. Read through the whole thread and failed to see the answer to my query.... Typically, at what age can you tell a roo from a pullet? Is 5.5 weeks in the ball park? I'm close to calling one of my 5 a cockerel and moving him to greener pastures (or a crock pot), but I hate to jump the gun... also hate to feed a bird that isn't going to give me eggs.

thanks

mo

Last edited:
Greetings. Read through the whole thread and failed to see the answer to my query.... Typically, at what age can you tell a roo from a pullet? Is 5.5 weeks in the ball park? I'm close to calling one of my 5 a cockerel and moving him to greener pastures (or a crock pot), but I hate to jump the gun... also hate to feed a bird that isn't going to give me eggs.

thanks

mo
In my experience, it varies greatly from breed to breed. With my sizzle cockerel I have now, I knew for sure that he was a cockerel at 2 weeks of age because he started crowing (or at least, he tried crowing anyway). He had a big comb and set of wattles at 1 1/2 months. Right now I've got a splash cochin that I still don't know if it's a boy or girl. She/he is almost 2 1/2 months old. It acts like a girl but has a larger comb than the other girls. Can you upload a pic of yours that you think may be a cockerel? I'm usually pretty good with sexing. A full body shot accompanied by a head shot is best.

Last edited:

thanks

mo
It depends on the breed. I can make an educated guess on barred Rocks and Dominiques at a day old, Faveroles are easy by four days, Orloffs I'm sure by six months..... Most breeds are easily sexed by the age of 3 to 5 months at the latest. I, like most folks I'm sure, can sex the breeds I raise myself far faster than the breeds I don't personally own.

You could post a picture in the "What breed or gender is this?" thread and I'm sure someone here could help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom