Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now in that case, wouldn't it be better to run to Ace and pick up an extension cord and an oscillating fan? It must be oscillating because ventilation is good, draft is bad. Then we need to build a screen ice holder to mount on said fan with a towel as a filter so the water droplets don't become electrically charged and electrocute the chickens. Properly made, it can also be used to dry the feathers that you just cleaned the poop off of..... I know I know, never end a sentence with a preposition.
And that ice has to be specially filtered spring water with a touch of lemon so the birds get some aromatheraphy during this stressful time!

Oh crap, I just spit Pepsi on my computer.  Thanks for the laugh.  I was just reading the Emergernces, Illness, and medical thread and someone was actually talking about spaying a hen and giving one hormone replacement.  I had to come back to the land of common sense before I puked.  That laugh was just what I needed after reading that thread.  Gotta love questions like: I am new to chicken, but  It is 105 outside and my chicken is panting, what can I do????  Really give the dang thing some cold water and shade, moron. 

HAhaha I say the exact stuff to myself when reading some of that but somehow manage to restrain myself from posting it. That way.

lau.gif

It must be oscillating because ventilation is good, draft is bad.
I've read well ventilated, but not drafty well over 100 times on this site...seemed sort of an oxymoron unless you got some sort of fancy "draft free vents". My coop is well ventilated and a bit drafty because of it. To think I thought I was breaking the "rules" this whole time...

mo

I did not reply either, but that is what I sooo want to type. If I typed half of what I really want to said, I would be having to find a new chicken forum.

It must be oscillating because ventilation is good, draft is bad. 

I've read well ventilated, but not drafty well over 100 times on this site...seemed sort of an oxymoron unless you got some sort of fancy "draft free vents". My coop is well ventilated and a bit drafty because of it. To think I thought I was breaking the "rules" this whole time... 

mo

"Not drafty" pretty much means no breeze or wind that blow directly on them, on the roost. Lots of ventilation means good air exchange but doesn't necessarily mean hurricane winds blowing through.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/697650/what-are-people-thinking-these-days-venting-time

Here's another one.... I'm not racist but them is some colored chicks lol!

Ventilation- airflow not directly on the chickens. Carries heat, cool air and odors away.

Draft- Air on chickens. In winter causes frostbite and death if the draft is on their roost and they can't get away from it.

My understanding.

I just told them how to dye their own. I can't wait to see if we get pictures of different color chickens now. hehe.

mo

Since heat rises, you put the vent high to get the heat out of the pen and there is no draft. If it is built correctly, it makes a significant difference during hot days if the birds are in an inclosed hen house.

Walt

I just told them how to dye their own. I can't wait to see if we get pictures of different color chickens now. hehe.
I guess I should not tell them that I dyed a friend's pure white steer green with koolaid one year when they were not home. It was payback for something stupid they did to me at my farm.

So, I am wondering if a recycled pallet coop would be considered drafty or well- vented???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom