Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Direct quote from the aforementioned thread on dyeing chicks:
Quote:
Buying colored chicks or not, this statement most likely includes over 85% of BYC members.....
tongue.png
Even a broken watch is right twice a day!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/696749/messy-rear-end

Oh my!..... Oh My!.... OH MY!

I am speechless, which for me... is saying something.

Why oh why do I wander out there where it isn't safe?!?!?!?

Because you need entertaining when Al and Walt ain't around.....
pop.gif

I understand completely.
hugs.gif
I get tempted too but I finally stopped because I couldn't keep wetting my chairs down like this when I laugh so hard that I cry down my leg.

Last edited:
Quote: My reply?

Well, because I have over 200 chickens on my place right now. Can't see where that would ever even be an issue for me, but I respect your position. I had over 500 on the place earlier this year but 300 of them died.... not from maggots, not a one of them.... they died from the butchers axe.

Like I referenced earlier, I give my day old chicks ACV in their water and continue that sporadically throughout their lifetime. Those are meat chicks. My layers free range and get water from a mud puddle or the pond, so they only get AVC as chicks. Haven't had one with a poop problem yet. Probably just luck.

Shawn

Quote: Why wouldn't I? Just seems like that bird was volunteering to come to dinner.

I had better stay away from that place. Don't need another infraction or I might be sent on a forced vacation lol!

As far as recycled pallet coops. It is what you build it.

It all depends on the way you enclose it. Our Lowes has vents for less than $2 each. these work great in most any type coop.

My reply?

Well, because I have over 200 chickens on my place right now. Can't see where that would ever even be an issue for me, but I respect your position. I had over 500 on the place earlier this year but 300 of them died.... not from maggots, not a one of them.... they died from the butchers axe.

Like I referenced earlier, I give my day old chicks ACV in their water and continue that sporadically throughout their lifetime. Those are meat chicks. My layers free range and get water from a mud puddle or the pond, so they only get AVC as chicks. Haven't had one with a poop problem yet. Probably just luck.

Shawn

Why wouldn't I? Just seems like that bird was volunteering to come to dinner.

I had better stay away from that place. Don't need another infraction or I might be sent on a forced vacation lol!
now I need to clean my computer as I spit coffee all over it
yuckyuck.gif

Yes...if messy butts caused death by maggot, there would be millions of CX that never made it to the dinner plate.

Fly strike on any livestock is a sign of poor management of feed/soils/pasture/environment...not as a result of a messy butt. Chronic messy butt is a sign of ill health or mismanagement...either way, washing the butt is only a stop gap measure for a much bigger problem.

I'm not surprised at these types of posts when the overall management knowledge on this forum comes from books that advocate crutching an animal's health with the use of dewormers, antibiotics, etc. That knowledge is passed from inexperienced person to inexperienced person as the truth until it becomes the gospel according to Storey and cannot be disputed by a minority of folks like us.

I've found that people who respond to this kind of management really like the drama of having sick animals..it gains them attention. In a world where reality TV rules, folks are bored, have no self respect drawn from accomplishment on their own, and they think that drama is the norm. It's what they respond to....they like having unruly dogs and children so they can have drama in their lives, they like being in debt because it's considered natural now and it also creates drama in their lives, they like having that constant turmoil because they have never learned to appreciate peace and calm.

When was the last time you saw folks watching shows on TV that promote calm, peace, and intelligent action? Nope...gotta be drama, big and dumb action, killing, cussin', and turmoil for it to even catch their eye. Even in books the biggest sellers are mysteries and romances....high drama, unrealistic scenarios, must have turmoil to gain the interest of the reader.

Last edited:
My reply?

I think you've come close to defining something I've been thinking about lately.

We've been talking about years of experience, but I wonder how much "number of chickens" comes into play, too. Some things that might seem reasonable to someone who has 3 chickens might seem a bit silly to someone who has a dozen, and absolutely goofy to someone who has a hundred.

disclaimer: I have more than a dozen, and less than a hundred. I hope to keep it that way!

Crying down your leg.........that sounds like something they could use as lyrics in a C & W song. I like it. We have a woman out our way that has a calamity in every post.........If I had her life (I don't believe most of it) I would be thinking about putting my head in the oven.....although you can't do that anymore cuz they don't use pilot lights now......anyway I think I might cash in my chips. I'm a psych major ...I know....that is like admitting your are crazy....hahaha Well anyway, I think the lady really enjoys the attention and so do a lot of other people on here. They all buy into it! I can't understand it, but I'm not one of those sensitive males that women look for.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom