Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont mean to hijack... but YOu brought up disease by shoe...someone has eggs i might buy ...their chicken he says are free range but says most have a lot of feather off their back .I get the impression bare as he didnt show a photo but one of the breed not his.
Says its from pecking on the weaker ones but they are free range so ?? didnt sound right thinking mites or something. So.. if i get eggs would it be a good idea to have him meet me ? Or forget him.
I am looking for local fertile eggs and only found 2 ppl. maybe ihavent hit the "egg vein" of my county yet...

Where is Missouri are you? I would be happy to give you some fertile eggs.
I have read this thread for months now off and on and find half of it is making fun of newer chick owners.....................
clap.gif
Well said. This thread has turned me off because of that.

Dont mean to hijack... but YOu brought up disease by shoe...someone has eggs i might buy ...their chicken he says are free range but says most have a lot of feather off their back .I get the impression bare as he didnt show a photo but one of the breed not his.
Says its from pecking on the weaker ones but they are free range so ?? didnt sound right thinking mites or something. So.. if i get eggs would it be a good idea to have him meet me ? Or forget him.
I am looking for local fertile eggs and only found 2 ppl. maybe ihavent hit the "egg vein" of my county yet...
If they are missing a lot of feathers on their backs, it sounds to me like there are too many roosters for too few hens. I've seen this quite often. It can get to a point where the hens will not have even a single feather on their backs and they will often have bald heads and scrappy wings as well from the roosters. If it is just a rooster issue, I wouldn't be concerned about buying hatching eggs from this guy.

Waterfowl will "imprint" on whatever/whoever broods them. When that happens they no longer know that they are a duck/goose and that can cause them problems.

Walt
I'm thinking turkeys must "imprint" too. I've never had many turkeys, but never noticed it before this year. Maybe I just bought stupid ones this year.

Have 15 poults in the big outdoor brooder. I "held and touched" them long enough to take them from the shipping box and put them in the brooder 6 weeks ago today. They get their feed topped off and waterers filled up twice a day. Other than standing there looking them over when I feed and maybe a few minutes during my day if I happen to take a break and am near the brooder, I have had very little contact with them.

Yesterday I decided they were feathered out enough to turn them out. So I just opened the double doors on the brooder and walked off. It took a couple of hours for the last few to get brave enough to jump out into the big new world with the growing chicks, guineas, and all the ducks which just free range.

The next time I walked out there every single one came running. Followed me all over the pasture and the coops while I feed and I finally had to shoo them off to keep them from following me back to the house.

Never had that happen with anything except geese before.
idunno.gif

I have read this thread for months now off and on and find half of it is making fun of newer chick owners..

.This thread is called"Old timers lay some knowlege on us." Isnt it or am i wrong??
90% of the ppl on BYC are newbies Want to learn the RIGHT way from ppl with the know.YOu should be flattered we CARE what you say...We want old timers who have experience to help

I dont think making fun of the ubanites getting a new house & chickens is the way to help We newbies of aLL kinds get it that you know it all and WE dont ..but hey this thread again is LAY SOME KNOWLEGE ON US not ABUSE US for being new.
AND the "newbie urbanite" will be the ones to buy your chickens, fertile eggs, hand made coops, and feed, all you make for chickens and have the money to do it. so if you dont like the new wave of chicken keeping you are missing the boat.... Write a book,build a coop advertise in some rich suburban neighborhood instead of turning your nose up.

Some of this reminds me of the seniors in a high school giving the freshman the once over
To someone not wanting to kill their chickens they just bought by being stupid .. why is that so funny?Why would you laugh at them b/c they are applying what they know about animals usually dogs and cats to chickens and act like they are pets?they are not farmers. use to utility animals.They have to learn
And repeating the answers all the time.?..Have you looked at all the new ppl who join daily here?Add more to the learning center, it sure doesnt give ALL

And Go to another website???????
WHAT is THIS website for then? Why should i go to another?

This doesnt apply to everyone here but some it does.

By the way i am 67 not some kid, NOT in the city but on my 10 acres in the country and not new to it.....sure still a newbie to chickens though wasnt born here . Im widow on social security .worked a factory all my life lifting steel into machines with mostly men doing the same job so.Ive heard whatever you want to say as a retort before.
.JUST got chickens this spring for a bad spring tick problem every year.
I DO spend a lot of time a LOT on here for an enjoyable common interest and to learn more and more.... no money for much else,,kids grown,just dogs so sue me.
I am probably one of those you are laughing at for all my questions i have an inquiring mind about everything . ..what can i say.? your problem not mine,So Yes dont answer my question.

Yeah lots of questions are dumb but you were a newbie once too remember?.OR MAYBE NOT.

My opinion... .If yo"old timers "arent interested in helping out with answering chicken questions then why you are you all here on THIS thread ?

Start an " Old Timer ONLY Chicken Club" thread. Then you can run down newbies to your hearts content and not offend others and make them afraid to ask questions
I can take straight talk and common sense.but some of this is just making fun of ppl who dont know anything yet.. and is just plain rude to some since its an open thread. and its SURE not being any kind of "HELP" with KNOWLEDGE
Go ahead with you smart retort and NO i am not leaving this site or thread boohooing. over it.

Number one, some might call this a trolling post, or in other words a post designed to get people to retort in like fashion. I hope it is not.

There are various types of chicken owners, and yes this is a site geared toward people owning "back yard chickens" Hmmm.... the website kinda says it all...

Anyhow, this thread is in itself, a thread devoted to the other type of chicken owner, sustainable farmers, longtime farm type chicken owners, and people of that ilk.

Yes, perhaps there is some fun had at others expense, but isn't that human nature? When two different types of husbandry are at such odds with each other, it is going to happen somewhat. Regardless, this is a very popular thread, and for good reason. There are common sense answers to questions about chicken husbandry.

Perhaps if you could find it within yourself to forgive such tomfoolery and pay attention to the excellent advice dispensed here, you would be better served.

Concentrate on the positives and you/we will lead happier healthier lives.

Welcome to the thread, site, whatever. What part of Missouri/ Missoura are you from? I have a lot of friends and relatives from there.

Number one, some might call this a trolling post, or in other words a post designed to get people to retort in like fashion. I hope it is not.

There are various types of chicken owners, and yes this is a site geared toward people owning "back yard chickens" Hmmm.... the website kinda says it all...

Anyhow, this thread is in itself, a thread devoted to the other type of chicken owner, sustainable farmers, longtime farm type chicken owners, and people of that ilk.

Yes, perhaps there is some fun had at others expense, but isn't that human nature? When two different types of husbandry are at such odds with each other, it is going to happen somewhat. Regardless, this is a very popular thread, and for good reason. There are common sense answers to questions about chicken husbandry.

Perhaps if you could find it within yourself to forgive such tomfoolery and pay attention to the excellent advice dispensed here, you would be better served.

Concentrate on the positives and you/we will lead happier healthier lives.

Welcome to the thread, site, whatever. What part of Missouri/ Missoura are you from? I have a lot of friends and relatives from there.
I agree with you as well, however, it is kind of odd to see so much "tomfoolery" in a thread for sharing wisdom. One of the best bits of wisdom I've ever received and one I was raised on is "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". I was also taught not to judge others, and I think that's really important.

Where is Missouri are you? I would be happy to give you some fertile eggs.
clap.gif
Well said. This thread has turned me off because of that.
kathyinmo
How very nice!! I am in South east Mo Near Farmington off highway 67.where are you? I would certainly pay for some just need to find some in driving distance What do you have?

Oh i will stay with the thread... those that are willing to share are a wealth of well recieved information and appreciated by all of us. How can you dispute years of professional chicken raising?Way better than a book written by chicken owner of a few years .Nothing beats experience in any field

I agree with you as well, however, it is kind of odd to see so much "tomfoolery" in a thread for sharing wisdom. One of the best bits of wisdom I've ever received and one I was raised on is "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". I was also taught not to judge others, and I think that's really important.
X2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom