Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had success just planting the feathers, but you need to pack good mulch around each one.When they start growing, you have to remember to put water in the Crop.

If you plant the whole chicken they grow too close together and the roots can't get enough water.

The leaves are too wide....lol
Is that the voice of experience I hear???
old.gif
(closest thing I could find to a hippie) lol

Is that the voice of experience I hear???
old.gif
(closest thing I could find to a hippie) lol

I live in the Green Triangle of Cali. They actually list it as a "crop". I'm too old to be a hippy, I was already over 30 when they showed up. I lived two blocks form Haight /Ashbury at the time though, so I have an idea what it looks like.

Walt

Too broad a question, I'm afraid. Since there are so many hatcheries and a hundred different breeds, strains and mixes. I've seen this question come up on the forums many, many times and each time there will be 40 posts of testimonial support for the hatchery chosen by the poster. What breed or strain are you looking for? What goal do you have in purchasing the birds? Looks?, production? meat?
At the risk of causing at least half a dozen face/palms, I want pretty chickens that lay lots of eggs that won't tear the nieces and nephews to ribbons when they chase them down and pick them up. We have 6 golden commets that came from Meyer Hatchery that are pretty perfect, but I'd like some different breeds/colors in the hen house. I don't want to breed anything. Just cute chickens and lots of eggs.

I'm going to assume, if you got them from Meyers that they are Golden Buffs, (not Golden Comets, but that is irrelevant) Meyers term for their Gold/Red Sex links. I've had, still have a few, of those birds. They are prolific layers, but their somewhat early burnout at 2.5 years of age has left us a bit cool on them. I am going to assume you want additional birds for visual, color variety. You'll not match the output of the RSL, really. For a visual change of pace, and a quiet, laid back bird, the Black Sex Links might suite your needs and they'll come quite close in laying output. But then, a production Barred Rock would almost, as well. A production red will lay well, but won't provide much visual contrast to you Golden Buffs.

As far as birds that are cute or that kids can chase and pick up, I'd have no comment.

Coming to this particular thread was an interesting choice.

At the risk of causing at least half a dozen face/palms, I want pretty chickens that lay lots of eggs that won't tear the nieces and nephews to ribbons when they chase them down and pick them up.
We're having good luck with Wyandottes. Our current two layers are giving us a minimum of 3-1/2 dozen eggs a month (and they're ahead of schedule this month); the two younger pullets should come "on line" by October. Our previous ones also laid at about that rate, 18 to 24 eggs per bird per month.

If you pick them up once a day while they're young, but they time they're of laying age they will be used to being handled and won't run away.

@ kassandra , I am a full fledged hippie. I was raised by my parents who were both in the hippie culture. my dad had the gotee and the love beads. they never drove anything but vw's. also his favorite line was " whats happening ,man " . i loved that guy. played the tubs ( drums ) and was a music guy.
also some plants out doors will grow big wide leaves. no, i no longer partake in the culture but did my share. oh wait a min. thats a different web site.lol

IMO game fowl are the prettiest with the most variety in feather pattern, lay well though small eggs, friendly and smart, but they won't attack you or the kids, they will not tolerate being chased and hugged. They are very low maintainence birds. Depends on where and what you get, they can be pricy.

At the risk of causing at least half a dozen face/palms, I want pretty chickens that lay lots of eggs that won't tear the nieces and nephews to ribbons when they chase them down and pick them up. We have 6 golden commets that came from Meyer Hatchery that are pretty perfect, but I'd like some different breeds/colors in the hen house. I don't want to breed anything. Just cute chickens and lots of eggs.

In the real world, the "cute" chickens, such as silkies, frizzles, EEs, won't be the ones that lay a lot of eggs. Same with the very docile breeds that allow constant picking up(Orpingtons). Would you settle for simply beautiful and great egg laying? Black Aussies are sweet, lay long and well, are hardy and versatile. They are glossy black that glistens into purple, green, and blue in the sunlight. They are easy to come by and live and produce a long time if managed properly.

White Rocks, snow white, beautiful lines and regal bearing...will NOT allow any picking up. They will lay long and well, are good mothers, hardy to the max and are heavy birds.

RIRs, same as the above but not heavy built as the other two...simply beautiful and richly red, good layers, some are very friendly and moochy, some are not.

Barred Rocks, Speckled Sussex, Brahmas, etc. can add a little color to the mix and are all great layers.

It isn't advisable to let your children run and chase and pick up unless you are also prepared that they will get clawed or pecked. That's the reality of chickens...you can't train them like a dog to not bite children and eyes are a particular attractant. When little kids hold a chicken, the bird is close to eyes...when we hold one, not so close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom