Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
in my case also a substantial structure the wire was simply pulled open. Like the coon took it's front paws and just spread the wire apart.Creating a coon sized hole to climb thru. Flimsy crap, just meant to keep chickens in.
I think we must have different wire. A strong man (my dad) can not pull my chicken wire apart. I can't either but I'm not the strongest person ever so that's not saying much. I'm just guessing here, but if a strong man can not pull the wire apart I don't think a coon can either.

I think we must have different wire. A strong man (my dad) can not pull my chicken wire apart. I can't either but I'm not the strongest person ever so that's not saying much. I'm just guessing here, but if a strong man can not pull the wire apart I don't think a coon can either.
I can't either bare handed. I'll cut my hand 1st

The chicken wire doesnt enclose the run or coop. Its on the ground to prevent them from digging under the run & coop. And it has landscape stones on the top. I would use hardware cloth for any runs/coops I make in the future.

not trying to be a pain here. But as Walt always says. Once anything is put in writing on BYC it is fact no matter what. So now it is a fact in writing that chicken wire will keep predators out. Except when it won't......

I had chicken wire on my old coop that had probably been up there for 60 years, approx. when the coop was built. It was just as strong as if it were new and it was seriously more sturdy than what I can buy at the hardware today. Had a hard time even clipping it with wire cutters. Good stuff.

Maybe it's all in what you find available at your local hardware, the gauge and actual construction/integrity thereof the wire.

not trying to be a pain here. But as Walt always says. Once anything is put in writing on BYC it is fact no matter what. So now it is a fact in writing that chicken wire will keep predators out. Except when it won't......
I clearly said that it works for me to keep predators out, not that it will work for anyone else. If people want to take this as fact and believe that it will work for everyone, that is of their own ignorance. Not mine.

I had chicken wire on my old coop that had probably been up there for 60 years, approx. when the coop was built. It was just as strong as if it were new and it was seriously more sturdy than what I can buy at the hardware today. Had a hard time even clipping it with wire cutters. Good stuff.

Maybe it's all in what you find available at your local hardware, the gauge and actual construction/integrity thereof the wire.
I've seen that old chicken wire. THAT was good stuff. What is sold around here is crap. Since that coon got through welded wire was put over the chicken wire. End of problem

I will tell you what. IF a dog, or coon wants in, and chicken wire is your ONLY defense.... a breeder or hatchery somewhere is going to be happy very soon.

I have a beagle that made a mess out of welded wire, using her paws and teeth. Got right out of the kennel.

I have a shepherd and a Great Pyrenees/Boxer mix that chewed and pawed their way out of a 10x10 chain link kennel. I had to try to re wire it and they destroyed it.

I can cut 40lb fishing line with my teeth.

Perhaps the predators have other options, but if wire snips can cut chicken wire, so can a coon's teeth.

That said, they would have to be determined. I have lost 10-12 in a few days time.

Thanks God for electric fence.

That's why I have dogs. They solve so very many problems when it comes to chickens and other small livestock. I can free range, I can leave my pop door open at all times, I can throw chicken scraps out without fearing they will attract predators to my chickens...the dogs and chickens eat their fill and the predators eat the rest...but they don't come after my live chickens.

I'll take a couple of good dogs over any kind of chicken wire or welded wire on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom