Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used plain 2x4 welded wire and used pvc to support the hoops worked out well.

Again pardon my ignorance as I've never worked with either cattle panels or welded wire of this gauge...

Do you think this kind of wire would hold up on top of a 6 ft. chain link dog kennel to hold shade cloth? The easier it is to move the better, but it will be up high and I'm thinking it wouldn't be sturdy enough and may get caught in the wind and destroyed.

I'm seriously buying and constructing tomorrow morning so I defer to you who have the experience...what would you use up there on top of a kennel?

Again pardon my ignorance as I've never worked with either cattle panels or welded wire of this gauge...

Do you think this kind of wire would hold up on top of a 6 ft. chain link dog kennel to hold shade cloth? The easier it is to move the better, but it will be up high and I'm thinking it wouldn't be sturdy enough and may get caught in the wind and destroyed.

I'm seriously buying and constructing tomorrow morning so I defer to you who have the experience...what would you use up there on top of a kennel?
What ever you use MUST have a peak on top, or your roof will collapse. Trust me, been there, done that with tarps.Look at the covered runs at TSC. They don't cover tjhe whole run, and will not keep out predators. You need a T-pee / A frame on top covered in wire, and then a tarp.

How wide is your kennel?

Bee.. The kennel is a 10 x 10. So I have to span 10 ft.

(That's the part I'm putting the shade cloth and wire over...they also have electro net to run free out of that so this is their "run back to safety" area.)

I think I'd stick with the cattle or hog panel for that distance, rather than the welded wire. You'll need something with more rigidity if you want it to take the wind and weather without moving too much. The panels are heavier than the welded wire, so they might make your whole apparatus a little heavy to move, but they will withstand any winds or weather that comes your way. The welded wire is a little too flimsy to span that distance and still maintain a good arch and support for your tarping.

I think I'd stick with the cattle or hog panel for that distance, rather than the welded wire. You'll need something with more rigidity if you want it to take the wind and weather without moving too much. The panels are heavier than the welded wire, so they might make your whole apparatus a little heavy to move, but they will withstand any winds or weather that comes your way. The welded wire is a little too flimsy to span that distance and still maintain a good arch and support for your tarping.

That's what I was thinking but wanted your opinion. Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom