Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the keepin-it-real tone of this thread, though. I can barely stand to skim the rest of the forum anymore for wading through all the my-chickens-are-human hogwash out there. Does anyone else become physically ill when someone refers to themselves as a "chicken mama". And, when did the phrase, "pet parent" become an accepted part of the lexicon? OMG!!
goodpost.gif

There are 3 threads that I read on this forum, the others I only read when I want to get some joke material.

My Great-Grandmothers raised chickens that survived the dirty 30's, chickens are not wimps!!

I'm a 4th generation farmer's daughter and because of this site I've discovered 2 wonderful inventions that I use and would recommend. These two impressed my Grandmother, not an easy task!

1. I've added nipples to water buckets which worked great for the summer.

2. I also added a "Pullet Shut" automatic door to our main coop.

Last edited:
Thank you Erin for the link! I love my chickens and free range them 90% of the time. They are molting right now so we are keeping them locked up a bit more to make sure they are safe. They look so ratty since they started. I am keeping a close eye on them.

I have a quick question about space. If I free range my chickens for at least 3 hours a day, on weekends about 6 hours, how much room in the run should I have for 9 chickens? I won't have any bantams, and also no overly large chickens, like jersey giants.

Last edited:
Not an OT but have an answer for predation.

I have a full time outside dog, however at times I catch her sleeping at night in the garage. She is step one.
My chickens are free ranged with 2 stalls in a 75 ft barn with ends that do not close. At night, at the end that is open to 5000+ acres of State Wildlife area, full of possum, coon, coyote, etc.... I leave a worklight (500 watt halogen) on from dusk to feeding time, which is step 2.
I have hogs in an electric wire fence system which is on 2 1/2 side of the barn. Don't know if it is the hogs, or the electric, but with those 3 steps, nothing has attempted to harm the birds.
4th step was to clear all foliage from around the barn. No tree limbs, no bushes to hide in.
Safe so far this year. I actually have about 15 youngsters that hang out with the hogs 24/7 and seem safe except when the hogs step on them at feed time.

What have I learned about raising chickens in the last 3 years due mainly to information found here?

1. The most important thing I think I have learned is ACV in the water. To expand on it, it may be purely anecdotal, but I have raised about 400 meat birds this year, and 150 or so layers and had pasty butt one time, in my first batch of meat birds not given ACV. I haven't used the ACV with the mother in it either, just plain old Heintz ACV with 2-3 glugs per 5 gallon bucket.

2. Chickens don't need or desire fresh fresh clean water. If you change it multiple times per day, daily or even every other day, you are doing it for yourself.

3. Chickens don't need heat lamps in the winter period. I am not talking about if you live in Alaska, but Ohio or points south thereof... no need, nor do you need a super duper airtight coop. Airflow is good. Like I said, my chickens are in 2 stalls in a barn that is open at the top with doors to the barn that do not close and they thrive and do not smell.

4. If a bird is sick, kill it.

5. If a bird is injured and suffering, kill it. I have several that limp, but seem to do well, however in the next cull coming within 60 days, they will be gone, any that have not recovered their feathers will be gone and excess young cockerals will be gone.

6. Predators do not need re located. They need killed. I plan to put some possum, some coon and some beaver in the pressure cooker in the next year or so. It is meat and I have heard it can be tasty.

7. People that incubate chicks in their bra are people too.

That's all I can think of right now.

The most important thing I have learned from this thread is to just plain relax. Chickens have made it through all kinds of situations and conditions. Second thing...try not to over analize (I do that with most every thing) 3rd - information on the internet is only as good as the source, take the info, check it for source, file in back of brain. 4th - Do not type "HELP EMERGENCY" in forum (just kidding) . I've learned to let my chickens be chickens. 5th - Prevention is much better than cure.(with humans too). So far I haven't killed any of them...crossing fingers. They are happy, I'm happy. Chickening is a process, line upon line, factor on factor...one thing at a time. There's always room for improvement. Thank you OTs

I couldnt resist sharing some decent pics I finally got of the hens today. More of a before & after pics with all the awesome info I received through this forum

My 4 hens 7 weeks ago when I bought them. They were 13 weeks old

Hens today at 25 weeks 3 weeks after being on FF

My biggest hen of the bunch nesting in the wooden run after some fresh veggies I put out. She must of tired herself out stealing the grape she wanted from the others :) But I noticed today her combs are getting redder & you can see the beginnings of her wattle to !!! I am guessing we still have several weeks till our first egg. But they all have tail feathers now & their feathers have such beautiful markings. I love the reddish color they have.
Pretty girls!

The most important thing I have learned from this thread is to just plain relax. Chickens have made it through all kinds of situations and conditions. Second thing...try not to over analize (I do that with most every thing) 3rd - information on the internet is only as good as the source, take the info, check it for source, file in back of brain. 4th - Do not type "HELP EMERGENCY" in forum (just kidding) . I've learned to let my chickens be chickens. 5th - Prevention is much better than cure.(with humans too). So far I haven't killed any of them...crossing fingers. They are happy, I'm happy. Chickening is a process, line upon line, factor on factor...one thing at a time. There's always room for improvement. Thank you OTs

I like this....should be the BYC motto!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom