Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know my coop is too small for my 19 birds, and they have made their voices heard by having 4 that try to sleep in the closest tree instead. Today I finally adjusted the coop to include another 15 feet (or so) of roosting space. It was such an easy fix to add some light tree branches, I am truly ashamed of myself for waiting so long;(
P.S. There are plans to expand, just waiting on some time and money.
that is my fear. I built my coop with a certain number in mind, but now I want more, more, more.
D.gif

i think we are in the same boat with " lets face it's the money " problem. in most areas the weather is still ok. however build up the coops by november. the cold won't hurt the birds but the wind and wet may kill the birds. if you have to many birds please don't get anymore. chicken math or not. please just don't do it. take care of the ones you have and provide them a lavish life.

my circumstances are not ideal either at this point but will come the 1st week of the month.

my neighbors ( we raise the birds together sure we do i raise the birds ) well they decided to put the coop in the pen area. this cutting into the space area. i do free range
so that is my saving grace.

i have a big double shed 30x 10 i need to move all the birds that coop before winter. it should have been done. however has anyone priced fencing. i use 6 feet high and 8 foot long dog kennel fencing. good g-d when did fencing get so high.

just so anybody thinks their alone. i shared my circumstances

Last edited:
Ok looking for some info for winter. I have a heated dog bowl I purchased years ago. Havent even checked to see if it works still but I am guessing so.

I have spent the last few hours cruising the internet for an easy way to keep the hens water from freesing & figured here was the best way to find out.
Does anyone use the heated dog bowl? If so do you just out water in it or fill it with sand and put a waterer on top of that?

Suggestions (with pics) will be welcome.

thank you
Jenn

Use it by itself, or use 5 quart ice cream buckets with it. Bring a new one from the house and set it inside the bowl every time you feed. Also, if you're interested, look up the "cookie tin water heater."
smile.png
Finally! This was the post I was referring to. Somehow, quoting didn't work before.

I use a heated dog bowl. They are difficult to clean out with the cord plugged in, so it makes it a whole lot easier to use inserts like the ice cream pails or what I have are cheap metal dog bowls that fit well inside. I just switch them out daily, and top them off in the evening.

Question: Is it really necessary to cover the run or anything else with plastic for winter?Does anyone else plant wheat for their chickens to eat for winter?

An oldtimer recommended winter rye for the chickens, I am going with that and winter wheat as well. It will be good for other wildlife as well. I am going to hang a large tarp and spread hay under it just to encourage going outside...it needs mulch there anyway.

I use a heated dog bowl. They are difficult to clean out with the cord plugged in, so it makes it a whole lot easier to use inserts like the ice cream pails or what I have are cheap metal dog bowls that fit well inside. I just switch them out daily, and top them off in the evening.
Nice! I use stainless steal dog bowls now in the yard for treats etc, and I already have an old heated dog bowl too! awesome!! thanks so much for the idea, i was thinking what a pain to clean with the cord!! The metal bowls will fit in it perfect, and pop right in the dish washer when needed! Also, I only have a small flock, but when I've watered dogs in kennels, we used a watering can with a skinny spout to top things off! may apply that to the chickens!! eaisier to carry and not spill, just change out the steel bowls.

Question: Is it really necessary to cover the run or anything else with plastic for winter?Does anyone else plant wheat for their chickens to eat for winter?

I don't cover my run with plastic for the winder, I live on the 37th parallel, we have all four seasons here but very little if any moisture. We don't have muddy run problems. Yes, wheat & turnips.

I know my coop is too small for my 19 birds, and they have made their voices heard by having 4 that try to sleep in the closest tree instead. Today I finally adjusted the coop to include another 15 feet (or so) of roosting space. It was such an easy fix to add some light tree branches, I am truly ashamed of myself for waiting so long;(
P.S. There are plans to expand, just waiting on some time and money.

I have 19, too, Nomibear. How big is your coop? Mine's 11 X 9 with all the insulation under the boards. I LOVE the idea BK gave us to make different levels by re-purposing stuff. Think I'll make a trip to the dump, too and see what I can find. My birds are getting snug on 11 feet of roost.

that is my fear.  I built my coop with a certain number in mind, but now I want more, more, more.  :cd

I built a 4x7 foot coop that the instructions said could handle 15 chickens. I ordered 20 thinking that several wouldn't servive the 2 day shipping. Well, they all did great! We lost ONE for no obvious reason... Now there are 19, who only sleep and nest in there. Their coop is a raised one, Inside a 2,250 ft yard with 6 Ft welder wire fencing. Their coop door is not closed at night. They share this yard with 7 mallard ducks, a 3 week old minature goat, and the guard dog at night.

My plans include a 20x12 coop made with mostly recycled pallets. This project may not be done until spring..:/. I am also planning on expanding the yard area.
I also admit to wanting another 10 or so, but will Not! be allowing myself to do that until they have a better coop area.

I have 19, too, Nomibear. How big is your coop? Mine's 11 X 9 with all the insulation under the boards. I LOVE the idea BK gave us to make different levels by re-purposing stuff. Think I'll make a trip to the dump, too and see what I can find. My birds are getting snug on 11 feet of roost.
Each grown bird needs at least 18" of space on the roosts.This is for large fowl. You might get by with 12-14" for bantams, bearing in mind that they tend to scrap more.Chickens are not missles. They need room to spread their wings to get on the roosts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom