Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
lau.gif
You made my day
lau.gif

One year we had to replace our electric oven. It got wired up incorrectly to start and consequently would not heat up to proper temperatures. It happened to be Thanksgiving and that turned out to be the best juiciest turkey we ever ate. From then on the turkey goes in the oven, covered with foil, the night before at 200 degrees. Take off the foils and turn up the heat just blefore serving to get it nice and brown ...... you won't be disappointed!
Ok what size was it? Was it stuffed? How long was it in there? If stuffed what with? Any liquid added? My hubby is VERY interested!

Ok what size was it? Was it stuffed? How long was it in there? If stuffed what with? Any liquid added? My hubby is VERY interested!
OMG rosewolf22002 ! I was soooo happy that I thought I could cook a turkey like this...and now you ask all these practical questions! OK qbal53...help us out here! I would have stuck a turkey in a pan & covered it with foil & turned the oven on! lol .I never would have thought about the size...or whether it was stuffed! On second thought, I do cook a really good ham...

Brie

I understand if it's frowned upon; I wasn't griping. If it's not a big deal though, I'd appreciate some input.

They are around 20-weeks-old, give or take a week. When I got them, they were black with some gold mixed in, so I was hoping for Wyandottes. Well, they are certainly

I'm no OT, just an old buzzard, new to chickens. Absolutely beautiful birds, that look quite a bit like my Easter Egger. I'm going to guess you'll get blue, green or blue/green eggs.

If you ever get tired of that gold and black one in the first picture, let me know. She's welcome in my flock anytime. I think you'll be surprised how they fill out in the next few weeks. My EE looked "sleek" at 20 weeks, now at 25 or 26, she is decidedly "fluffy".

Oh heavens, if I get a blue or green egg out of either one of those birds, y'all will be amongst the first to know, second only to our whole county, since I'll be whoopin' and hollerin' and doin' back flips across the back 40!
wee.gif
And I will say, as far as health, we had some sort of respiratory thing going on with our flock (snotty noses for several days and nothing more) but those two never got sick, even a little. (I have two heritage RIRs from a small hatchery that didn't get it either so I get what y'all are saying about commercial hatcheries!) They seem to eat less feed too. I think they are gorgeous, but I know my opinion is terribly biased. I'm glad I ended up with them. Did I mention that I can't wait til they lay? My luck they will lay a plain old white egg......
tongue.gif

Oh heavens, if I get a blue or green egg out of either one of those birds, y'all will be amongst the first to know, second only to our whole county, since I'll be whoopin' and hollerin' and doin' back flips across the back 40!  :weee   And I will say, as far as health, we had some sort of respiratory thing going on with our flock (snotty noses for several days and nothing more) but those two never got sick, even a little.  (I have two heritage RIRs from a small hatchery that didn't get it either so I get what y'all are saying about commercial hatcheries!)  They seem to eat less feed too.  I think they are gorgeous, but I know my opinion is terribly biased.  I'm glad I ended up with them.  Did I mention that I can't wait til they lay?  My luck they will lay a plain old white egg......  :tongue

If they have pea combs there is a good chance they will lay green eggs.

Picturing Walt in tie-dyed shirt, bell bottom jeans, smokin' his herbs...er...I mean, incense. Picturing Al without a shirt, peace sign necklace....whoa...errrrrrhhhhh...rewind....picturing Al now with a shirt... and rose-colored glasses, long hair, bass guitar and singin' his heart out around the campfire.
I don't know about Walt or Al...
But I had a pair of bell bottoms. White, with sequins. Played the guitar around the campfire, had long hair to my waist, traveled the country for a while in an old Dodge van with a mural on the side I can't describe here (My Mom wouldn't let me park it in their yard
big_smile.png
), and I remember very little of any of it.
hide.gif

I did grow up eventually though.

sorta.
hmm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom