Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I still have quite a few pens inside the breeder coop with birds in them, but they are all very young and they are being culled a few at a time as they grow out and mature to see which ones make the grade for the future. I am not holding out much hope for many of them as I was depending on the lost birds for the better quality breedings for spring. Nothing ever get's into the big walk-in coop.

I still have quite a few pens inside the breeder coop with birds in them, but they are all very young and they are being culled a few at a time as they grow out and mature to see which ones make the grade for the future. I am not holding out much hope for many of them as I was depending on the lost birds for the better quality breedings for spring. Nothing ever get's into the big walk-in coop.
You never know, they might turn out to be OK stock.

This whole thing prompted me to go out yesterday afternoon and make sure all my "flock security" measures were still in place and in good condition.

Funny story: my 'dud' BO hens that haven't laid a single egg in over 2 weeks did give me 6 eggs the first 9-10 days they were here(5 of those days they were confined to the coop) i suspected at the time that it was just one hen giving me those eggs as they were nearly identical and never more than one a day. I swear I looked everywhere around the barn to see if they were hiding them and couldn't find any. So today just for the heck of it I looked under some metal roof panels that are stacked behind the barn, there's only about 6" clearance under them and its stuffed with leaves. But lo and behold I saw the tip of an egg poking up from the leaves, so we raked it out to find a full dozen eggs stashed in there!! I still think its just one hen laying, so I still have mostly duds. But now I know I need to cull a little more discriminantly! I was planning to eat one this week, but it's gonna have to wait a couple days till I can catch the little sneak in the act!!

Here I am a old women with ring worm..did I catch it from the chickens? And anyone know what to do to clear it up? It's on the underside of my knee.
It is often difficult or impossible to identify the source of a particular person's skin fungus. The fungi may spread from person to person (anthropophilic), from animal to person (zoophilic), or from the soil to a person (geophilic). When ring worm is on the feet it's called athletes foot, if it's in the groin area it's called jock itch. It's contagious and while it usually is spread by skin to skin, or skin to soil contact it can also be spread by contact with personal items used by infected people, like, towels, combs, hats, brushes, bed lines can spread the infection. (Ring worm isn't really worms, it's a fungus that can live in the soil, on the skin of animals and people. It forms a crusty itchy circle that resembles the shape of a worm.)

Last edited:
   It is often difficult or impossible to identify the source of a particular person's skin fungus. The fungi may spread from person to person (anthropophilic), from animal to person (zoophilic), or from the soil to a person (geophilic).   When ring worm is on the feet it's called athletes foot, if it's in the groin area it's called jock itch. It's contagious and while it usually is spread by skin to skin, or skin to soil contact it can also be spread by contact with personal items used by infected people, like, towels, combs, hats, brushes, bed lines can spread the infection.   (Ring worm isn't really worms, it's a fungus that can live in the soil, on the skin of animals and people. It forms a crusty itchy circle that resembles the shape of a worm.)
Ditto the above. And no, I highly doubt it was from the chickens. I used to get it once in a while as a kid and mom always put some of that collidal silver stuff on it. But the Lotramin or NuStock should work, too.

Funny story: my 'dud' BO hens that haven't laid a single egg in over 2 weeks did give me 6 eggs the first 9-10 days they were here(5 of those days they were confined to the coop) i suspected at the time that it was just one hen giving me those eggs as they were nearly identical and never more than one a day. I swear I looked everywhere around the barn to see if they were hiding them and couldn't find any. So today just for the heck of it I looked under some metal roof panels that are stacked behind the barn, there's only about 6" clearance under them and its stuffed with leaves. But lo and behold I saw the tip of an egg poking up from the leaves, so we raked it out to find a full dozen eggs stashed in there!! I still think its just one hen laying, so I still have mostly duds. But now I know I need to cull a little more discriminantly! I was planning to eat one this week, but it's gonna have to wait a couple days till I can catch the little sneak in the act.!

I was taking care of the neighbor's chickens while they were away for medical reasons. Her favorite hen was missing, I finally found her in a big tire swing, bigger than a car tire, more like a front tire of a tractor, it was on hook on the wall in the barn. Not sure why I got up there and looked in it but there were 27 eggs in there. I was so glad to find her. I'm not sure what the hen's plan was for getting the chicks down from up there if they hatched.

Last edited:
Here is my stab at 5.

1. Chickens do not need treats or warm mushy human food, served to them.

2. Chickens brains are not wired like a humans, they don't think about..... Gee that rooster sure is being mean to me. and they are not emotional like most prefer to think they are.

3. Chickens do not require names to survive, or diapers, or aprons.

4. News flash.......... chickens actually do much better outside not in the house lounging on your sofa leaving you a smelly little gift and scratching in the carpet for bug's.

5. Holding a chicken to your face WILL !!! get yer eye poked out.
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!111
goodpost.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom