Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my cockerel is getting some hormones!! He was hatched June 22. I've seen him (I think) trying to "do the deed" a couple of times recently.

This past weekend, I threw some corn out in the yard for them (I had a spot I with some new weed growth I wanted cleared, so I threw the corn out there so they'd scratch it up). After watching them for a few minutes, I went about my business. While walking away, I heard a thud, thud, thud behind me. That dang roo was running up behind me!! I stomped at him, and he backed off. Remembering some of the OT advice, I then picked up a stick and gave him a sharp "whack" on the hindside, chased after him, gave him a few more stomps. He ran in the coop, I followed. I guarded the coop door and whacked the floor near him a couple of times. He tried to find a way out with each whack.

I let him be after a few whacks, but now every time I go in the coop, I give him a little pat on the back to make him "back off" until I get the feed and water put out. The past few days, he's been keeping his distance while I'm puttering around in the coop.

I hope he's broke, because I think he's a good "flock" watcher. They don't forage out in the open much, but when they do, he'll perch on the yard chairs, the old car, or anything that's near while the girls forage. Since this is my first experience with a roo, I may be wrong but I think his percing is so he can get a "better view" while the girls eat.....

Last edited:
I think my cockerel is getting some hormones!!  He was hatched June 22.  I've seen him (I think) trying to "do the deed" a couple of times recently.

This past weekend, I threw some corn out in the yard for them (I had a spot I with some new weed growth I wanted cleared, so I threw the corn out there so they'd scratch it up).  After watching them for a few minutes, I went about my business.  While walking away, I heard a thud, thud, thud behind me.  That dang roo was running up behind me!!  I stomped at him, and he backed off.  Remembering some of the OT advice, I then picked up a stick and gave him a sharp "whack" on the hindside, chased after him, gave him a few more stomps.  He ran in the coop, I followed.  I guarded the coop door and whacked the floor near him a couple of times.  He tried to find a way out with each whack.

I let him be after a few whacks, but now every time I go in the coop, I give him a little pat on the back to make him "back off" until I get the feed and water put out.  The past few days, he's been keeping his distance while I'm puttering around in the coop.

I hope he's broke, because I think he's a good "flock" watcher.  They don't forage out in the open much, but when they do, he'll perch on the yard chairs, the old car, or anything that's near while the girls forage.  Since this is my first experience with a roo, I may be wrong but I think his percing is so he can get a "better view" while the girls eat.....
I can see Al's eyes tearing up with that.

good job.

I can see Al's eyes tearing up with that.
good job.
Wonder how ole' Al's getting along?? It's funny how I have different "voices' in my head when I read posts, wonder y'all really sound anything like you do "in my head"!

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who does that!

I think my cockerel is getting some hormones!! He was hatched June 22. I've seen him (I think) trying to "do the deed" a couple of times recently.

This past weekend, I threw some corn out in the yard for them (I had a spot I with some new weed growth I wanted cleared, so I threw the corn out there so they'd scratch it up). After watching them for a few minutes, I went about my business. While walking away, I heard a thud, thud, thud behind me. That dang roo was running up behind me!! I stomped at him, and he backed off. Remembering some of the OT advice, I then picked up a stick and gave him a sharp "whack" on the hindside, chased after him, gave him a few more stomps. He ran in the coop, I followed. I guarded the coop door and whacked the floor near him a couple of times. He tried to find a way out with each whack.

I let him be after a few whacks, but now every time I go in the coop, I give him a little pat on the back to make him "back off" until I get the feed and water put out. The past few days, he's been keeping his distance while I'm puttering around in the coop.

I hope he's broke, because I think he's a good "flock" watcher. They don't forage out in the open much, but when they do, he'll perch on the yard chairs, the old car, or anything that's near while the girls forage. Since this is my first experience with a roo, I may be wrong but I think his percing is so he can get a "better view" while the girls eat.....

Sniff...cough... sob! I'm SO proud!!!
hit.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
clap.gif

big_smile.png
SO proud!

Wonder how ole' Al's getting along?? It's funny how I have different "voices' in my head when I read posts, wonder y'all really sound anything like you do "in my head"!

PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one who does that!

No...you are not. I can hear him, Walt and Fred with regularity. Sometimes it's uncanny because then they will come on and say the same thing I thought they would say!

He may have merely been chasing you for more food. But, I didn't see it, you did. I try not to be too overly combative with the young cockerels. I prefer to watch, watch, watch them.

Our young red has been clumsy in his making the move on the pullets. Some of the older batch ignore him and I've watched him not over reach his abilities or standing in the flock. He's doing just fine. Yup, he's a real Red so I'm very curious as to his personality. So far so good. Word is that the real Reds are very decent. The bad reputation that reds get in the backyard community is largely based on the fact that everyone has zoo'd up production mutts. No offense, but the truth is that very, very few people have true RIR birds.

We took a chance on an unknown, dark Red last spring, said to be heritage, and by the looks, he sure was (is), but not the best in type at all. Black/red feathering, fair back line, fair brick shape, horn color on beak, all good things. The cockerel I have was out of the first batch last May or June. We've got a ton of work to do on this line and we'll see. If things don't look like they are progressing, we'll start over with some Nelson's or another known, great line. Got some young fellas down in KY who really want to do a good Red line.

Last edited:
Bahaha you guys remind me of a bumper sticker I saw: "I have voices in my head, and they don't like you!"

I hear them too. Guess we're all kinda nuts. hehe.

I've watched how at least 5 or 6 of our POL pullets have quickly become this young cockerels mistresses. So, to see if he's actually accomplishing what he thinks he's accomplishing, I've begun to set aside those pullets eggs. Before scrambling them or putting them into cookie batter, or whatever, I'm taking a moment to look for the bullseye. Yup, he's not batting 1000 quite yet, but his average is rising. Practice, practice, practice.

He's still a minor leaguer, and I feel like the scout from Big Leagues watching his progress. Got a feeling he's got a good chance to make the team, come spring training.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Toby does the running after me for food thing...but if he was young and didn't know him yet, I'd assume the same thing..he's coming to do his rooster thing. I'd have done the same thing..a stomp to test his resolve in the matter.
big_smile.png
I still do it to ol' Tobe for kicks and giggles to see if I can slow him down on the food quest, the old Thunderbuns! "Thumpa, thumpa, thumpa" coming up behind a gal is the last thing she wants to hear out in the chicken yard!
lol.png

Sniff...cough... sob! I'm SO proud!!!
hit.gif
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
clap.gif

big_smile.png
SO proud!
Thanks Bee, you were coaching me through the entire ordeal.
He may have merely been chasing you for more food. But, I didn't see it, you did. I try not to be too overly combative with the young cockerels. I prefer to watch, watch, watch them.
I may be a little paranoid. When I was younger, my great uncle had an "attack rooster". When I heard that thump, thump, thump my mind went back to the days when that sound (in Uncle Leb's yard) was usually followed by a rooster's feet getting tangled in your hair!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom