Chickens for 10-20 years or more? Pull up a rockin' chair and lay some wisdom on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.png
Sorry....years of smiling through all the things that make it hard to smile tends to make one a little crusty.
Believe me, I get it. When you deal with people, you smile when you have to. I save all my "real" thoughts for when I get home. DH finds it quite amusing sometimes.

Quote:
Why do many people let their little dogs misbehave? I'm gonna guess that a lot of those owners project human emotions onto their dogs, and therefore never understand what is really driving the dog's behavior.

I don't know about the projection of human emotions onto dogs, IMO, I think some people just think they're cute and because they can get away with dressing them up and bringing them into stores in their hang bags they conveniently forget they are, after all, dogs that need someone to show them acceptable behavior and unacceptable behavior and stick to it, repetition repetition repetition.

I had to "put up" with a visitor at my home who brought her little taco-bell dog with her Often. (I love animals he wasn't the issue) The issue came into play when the little sh*t started jumping on my furniture and getting territorial. (my own dog isn't allowed on ANY of the furniture, Unless invited and that happens Rarely she's got her OWN dog beds) First few times, I popped him on the butt with my hand and told him "down" within 10 minutes he understood me and the word. But tried to test me as soon as I turned my back on him. I got him to the point where I only had to look and say "down" and he would quickly jump down. This lady had the audacity to get huffy puffy with me. And the nerve to tell me "think of him as one of your cats, he's even smaller than them and cuter" I flat out said " One, He's NOT a cat, he's a dog no matter how "small" he is. And he's disrespectful to the fact that this is My home. And he will obey the rules I have set for My own dog also while he is here, I do not need her challenging this because HE gets away with it and Two: have you ever seen my cats on any of my furniture?" (I'll admit I have issues with the idea that the kitties walk and dig through their poop and pee with their little paws. So they learned at the kitty stage to stay off of furniture believe it or not lol) Needless to say, I no longer see her or the chihuahua anymore. And I don't miss the company.

And I know it might sound cruel to some people, but I have had great success with the use of a training shock collar and 2 pitt-bulls. It Allows you to correct undesirable behavior from a far and by observation. Believe it or not I only had to use the shock button 3-5 times on each dog. I bought a set from ebay that had Vibration and shock with a setting to lvl 100 shock. I never raised it higher than 24 for the shock, and yes My brother and I put them on and tried them on lvl 100 on each other (lol!!) It didn't hurt me but did startle me the first times.
They listened extremely well to just the vibration button, which you give as a warning Always Before Ever Considering The Shock Button. And now I no longer use them. I blame their hard headedness on the fact that my brother made them live in a crate with no training what so ever. So they just simply Did Not want to listen. Or believed, they didn't need to.

Tork (One of Jasons Pitts)

My Dog sharing a tid bits from a bone with one of the cats And sharing her bed. Angel is an Australian/Pitt MixC

Okay...all this "bad dog" talk is frustrating. Bee had me convinced that I needed to get a good dog out there - especially since there will be either kids or lambs here in the spring in addition to the chickens. Then I hear all the issues everyone is having - even the folks that believe in good training - and I just don't want to deal with any dog that won't train or that I have to protect my chickens from.

In all my life, the last last 6 or so years is the longest I've gone without having a dog. When I was young my parents raised collies. I also had Shetland Sheepdogs. Now I've definitely seen some hyper, unruly Shelties (not mine!) but I was taught by my mom how do do obedience training while I was very young and always trained my dogs. When I saw dogs that were "runners" (my term meaning if they got outside of the fence or house... or off a leash... they would run away and not listen to their owner's call) it would just make me angry. I swore I'd never have a dog that was a runner.

dog-walking-the-owner-smiley-emoticon.gif
I've know so many people that had to chase their dogs down and trick them to get them back.
somad.gif

Now this is all to say that since I'd be getting a dog for a totally different reason than I ever have - and have no experience with training for livestock - all your dog talk almost has me convinced that I'll just get a tent and sleep outside overnight and forget the dog (ha! I can be a LGG...Livessock Guardian Girl).

smileys-camping-494053.gif

I know I can train a dog to respect me, do basic obedience, and be a good friend and companion. Don't know if I could get 'em to respect the chickens and I don't like the idea of risking coming home to a bunch of dead chickens...

happy-puppy-smiley-emoticon-1.gif
So help me out here...

I'd recommend a Pyrenees for guarding any goats, sheep, and chickens. They are excellent dogs! Our experience was wonderful with our Pyr, Ripley.
Now.....about the little dog talk. We currently have a much smaller lawn and a Yorkshire Terrier that is THE best "cat" for which one could ask. Yes, he's a good pet - BUT, he is one good mouser! -chased a mouse up a tree where it ran out onto a limb, plummeted to the ground, was quickly seized, shaken, pranced to the back door (in little stinker's mouth), and dropped at my feet. He actually does that for which he was bred. -happy li'l guy!
big_smile.png

Although this post has nothing to do about the dog conversation going on I thought you could all use a little chuckle...............

Ever watch Billy the exterminator on A&E? Last night a person called him to come catch a wild rooster that was roaming his yard.........ever watch 3 grown men chase a rooster ????
D.gif
OMG thank goodness I didnt have a mouth full of Pepsi as I watched it. # grown men chasing a rooster through yards, under trees & sheds & then 2 of them jump to land on the ground and grab the rooster all the while trying to avoid his 3 inch *thorns* on his legs lol

I really miss real cable with all the cool shows. One of the perks of staying in a hotel room on my way to Long Island. At least I remembered the computer so I dont get behind on posts on here
big_smile.png

Okay...all this "bad dog" talk is frustrating. Bee had me convinced that I needed to get a good dog out there - especially since there will be either kids or lambs here in the spring in addition to the chickens. Then I hear all the issues everyone is having - even the folks that believe in good training - and I just don't want to deal with any dog that won't train or that I have to protect my chickens from.

In all my life, the last last 6 or so years is the longest I've gone without having a dog. When I was young my parents raised collies. I also had Shetland Sheepdogs. Now I've definitely seen some hyper, unruly Shelties (not mine!) but I was taught by my mom how do do obedience training while I was very young and always trained my dogs. When I saw dogs that were "runners" (my term meaning if they got outside of the fence or house... or off a leash... they would run away and not listen to their owner's call) it would just make me angry. I swore I'd never have a dog that was a runner.

dog-walking-the-owner-smiley-emoticon.gif
I've know so many people that had to chase their dogs down and trick them to get them back.
somad.gif

Now this is all to say that since I'd be getting a dog for a totally different reason than I ever have - and have no experience with training for livestock - all your dog talk almost has me convinced that I'll just get a tent and sleep outside overnight and forget the dog (ha! I can be a LGG...Livessock Guardian Girl).

smileys-camping-494053.gif

I know I can train a dog to respect me, do basic obedience, and be a good friend and companion. Don't know if I could get 'em to respect the chickens and I don't like the idea of risking coming home to a bunch of dead chickens...

happy-puppy-smiley-emoticon-1.gif
So help me out here...

Cheap, doesn't need to be fed, attractive, doesn't need to be trained, clean, doesn't need to go to the vet, quiet and never barks, effective even against black bear if the stories can be true, last up to 7-10 years if maintained properly, can easily adapt to new area or territory, not effective for hawks but can use the sun for power......(the fence, not the lady in the pic
big_smile.png
)

http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=96

Last edited:
Re: small dogs

I believe the ones we are talking about are the "Mrs. Pumphrey" type. Owners who want cute little lovey dogs. The next baby they aren't going to bear themselves. Or people who want a dog and don't know that dogs need:
1) attention
2) exercise
3) (as mentioned by others) a JOB.

Domesticated dogs were each bred for a purpose. No wonder a Doxie that was bred to chase rabbits through thickets get neurotic stuck in a house all day long.

Then, of course, there is inbreeding to get "desirable" traits which seems to eventually turn the breed into psychotic ghosts of their forefathers/mothers. They are afraid of their own shadows, afraid of getting stepped on (which is likely since they are underfoot yapping), speak loudly if you have no stick (ala Saddam Hussein).

Yards are small, no one home, don't want or have time for a couple of 1/2 hour walks EVERY DAY.

We have 3 house cats
big_smile.png
My daughter doesn't like it when they perform their instinctive task of killing mice

Bruce

Quote: I'm glad my cat killed mice (also chipmunks and flying squirrels. Wasn't real overjoyed about those.). She even left us the best bits: the head and the wee little paws.
I was okay with the heads. The paws, however, icked me out.

Cheap, doesn't need to be fed, attractive, doesn't need to be trained, clean, doesn't need to go to the vet, quiet and never barks, effective even against black bear if the stories can be true, last up to 7-10 years if maintained properly, can easily adapt to new area or territory, not effective for hawks but can use the sun for power......(the fence, not the lady in the pic
big_smile.png
)

http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=96

in the spring i am going to try one of these. if my money gets right.

As you all know I am not the best dog trainer. My retrievers make me crazy.
However our last pack, pre kids, was the best group of dogs I have ever known. 2 Pyrenees, both rescued. Daisy and Woody. Timber our Bernese, Toby our rescued russian wolf hound and Skeeter our Aussie mix. That group was protective, respectful, quiet and loyal. They fought off mtn lions on at least one occasion, getting Timber an infection that took a month to cure. They ran a bear off the deck which was quite a rumble with wooden tables and chairs broken and in disarray. Timber got a bruised shoulder over that one. They only barked for a reason, played with the elk, never had allowed mice in the house or chipmonks. They did their duty in one part of the yard only and preferred to be outside 90% of the time. They never fought other dogs they never jumped on people and they always listened. I credit the breeds. They accepted a gentle word as law and appreciated every little treat you gave them. They were kind to the wild cat that lived in our yard and they respected the neighbors and actually guarded the neighbors boy when he walked to the bus stop. They were awesome, in spite of inability to "train" them. So I recommend Pyrs and Bernese. I'm hoping hard that Emma takes on that gentle intelligent respectful nature and maybe can help set the other two straight. Good luck all with the dog issues.
L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom