Chickens for kids?

FriendlyFlyer

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
I would like to get my little brother and sister a chicken of their own next spring (of course I will take care of them but they can call them theirs) I was thinking about getting my sister a silkie bantam. I'm not sure what I want to get my brother but I was thinking maybe a cochin.. What would you say are good breeds for young kids to hold and pet? Thank you! All ideas are welcome!

Cochins are great, they are so nice and gentle. My four year old loves our white Cochin Luna. Our baby Partridge Cochin doesn't like to be held much but he's still a wee one
smile.png

IMAG0456 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

Last edited:
i would say sebright or cubulaya I was raised with gamefowl espesially cubulaya and they are very gentle and nice pets I used to have one that would follow me around the pen

Thank you everyone! [email protected], my little brother will be 4 in a couple months and my sister is 6. I do like the look of sebrights but I've heard they aren't the easiest to handle..

We took our kids to pick out their own at the farm store. My girls are 8, 10, and 17. My girls brought home an Easter egger, brahma, and a rhode island red. Every single chicken I have is very friendly. We held them everyday since the day they were brought home.

I've heard silkies are wonderful too. Good luck with the new chicks.

I have two plymouth rocks (one barred, one partridge) that are extremely friendly and like being held, don't mind being played with. They're large enough to withstand any rough play from children, but might be too big for a 4yr-old... I've found that I can tell from day 1 which chicks will be friendly and which will be skittish, so *meeting* them first may be your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom