Chickens Found My Ring?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chuckles1330, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Chuckles1330

Chuckles1330 In the Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Mableton
    Back in February, on the President's Day holiday, I lost a ring with great sentimental value in my backyard (AKA the chicken yard). Frantic searching in the days following yielded nothing, even with the use of a small metal detector. Friends assisted in the search, and everytime I was in the yard doing anything (so everyday, since the chickens are out there), I would keep my eyes to the ground ready to pounce on anything shiny. It was only recently that I accepted the loss (although my eyes were still generally to the ground when in the yard) and stopped feeling for the ring on my finger.

On Saturday afternoon (3 1/2 months later) I was checking the nesting boxes and sitting there on the edge of the nesting box, pretty as a picture and sparkling, was my ring! I KNOW it wasn't there in the days prior - I'm in the coop daily, and the girls don't like a lot of bedding in their nests, so it wasn't buried in bedding. (I had pulled out and sifted all the bedding right after I lost the ring anyway.) I know birds can be attracted to shiny things, but has anyone else ever had something like this happen? I could have kissed each and every one of my girls when I found it, as it seems to me like one of them must have found it in the yard and placed it in the nesting box.

2. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Songster

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    Well, that is wonderful! I know what it's like to lose a sentimental piece of jewelry........I lost the stone from my engagement ring last year. I retraced my steps for the past hour and an amazing thing happened! I found my (relatively), tiny stone caught between two boards on my deck! I say it was a miracle!!! Glad your ring is no longer lost! ~Beulah [​IMG]

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    That is awesome. I'm glad they found it for you; such useful ladies. That is funny that they hid it in the nesting box with their eggs.

I would let them free range in more places and check your box frequently to see what loot they stole for you :)

4. Chuckles1330

Chuckles1330 In the Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Mableton
    My sister says this is proof that the chickens love me. That may be, but if I was to fall dead in the yard, they would still pick my bones clean - afterall, I am "the food lady" to them. [​IMG]

As for free ranging and "loot" I have to scold them for visiting the neighbors as it is - my older girls like to hang out under the cypresses on our property line. Fortunately I have very understanding neighbors, and the girls have never been aggressive with anyone, so it is all good. [​IMG]

5. Love the ring story---what amazing chickens. :O)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: