Chickens Found My Ring?

Chuckles1330

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 11, 2009
Mableton
Back in February, on the President's Day holiday, I lost a ring with great sentimental value in my backyard (AKA the chicken yard). Frantic searching in the days following yielded nothing, even with the use of a small metal detector. Friends assisted in the search, and everytime I was in the yard doing anything (so everyday, since the chickens are out there), I would keep my eyes to the ground ready to pounce on anything shiny. It was only recently that I accepted the loss (although my eyes were still generally to the ground when in the yard) and stopped feeling for the ring on my finger.

On Saturday afternoon (3 1/2 months later) I was checking the nesting boxes and sitting there on the edge of the nesting box, pretty as a picture and sparkling, was my ring! I KNOW it wasn't there in the days prior - I'm in the coop daily, and the girls don't like a lot of bedding in their nests, so it wasn't buried in bedding. (I had pulled out and sifted all the bedding right after I lost the ring anyway.) I know birds can be attracted to shiny things, but has anyone else ever had something like this happen? I could have kissed each and every one of my girls when I found it, as it seems to me like one of them must have found it in the yard and placed it in the nesting box.

Well, that is wonderful! I know what it's like to lose a sentimental piece of jewelry........I lost the stone from my engagement ring last year. I retraced my steps for the past hour and an amazing thing happened! I found my (relatively), tiny stone caught between two boards on my deck! I say it was a miracle!!! Glad your ring is no longer lost! ~Beulah
clap.gif

That is awesome. I'm glad they found it for you; such useful ladies. That is funny that they hid it in the nesting box with their eggs.

I would let them free range in more places and check your box frequently to see what loot they stole for you :)

My sister says this is proof that the chickens love me. That may be, but if I was to fall dead in the yard, they would still pick my bones clean - afterall, I am "the food lady" to them.
tongue.png

As for free ranging and "loot" I have to scold them for visiting the neighbors as it is - my older girls like to hang out under the cypresses on our property line. Fortunately I have very understanding neighbors, and the girls have never been aggressive with anyone, so it is all good.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom