Chickens Freezing?

Hang in there. The first winter will be the one you worry about them the most.
They are a color variety not readily available as far as I know. I will be interested to hear how they do with the laying.

Thanks, you've been a big help. :) The man who sold them to me is pretty serious about chicken shows, and was not pleased with their color/markings. He said they'd be "egg laying machines." In the spring, I want to incubate some of their eggs. I already have the incubator and egg turner. Now if they can just last the winter. This rookie is worried about messing things up!

Thanks, you've been a big help. :) The man who sold them to me is pretty serious about chicken shows, and was not pleased with their color/markings. He said they'd be "egg laying machines." In the spring, I want to incubate some of their eggs. I already have the incubator and egg turner. Now if they can just last the winter. This rookie is worried about messing things up!

If it helps any.....we will be 5 below zero here. I have 3 elderly bantams (the oldest is 11) and 8 adult full size hens then the kids....the young have a heat lamp in their 6x8 walk in coop with TONS of venting (open sofits) they are 7&8 weeks old. They are the only ones with added heat. That lamp is secured with chains to prevent falling. There are 4 coops. Chickens are in 3 and the 4th has 7 ducks.
The only thing I am worried about is that lamp.

If it helps any.....we will be 5 below zero here. I have 3 elderly bantams (the oldest is 11) and 8 adult full size hens then the kids....the young have a heat lamp in their 6x8 walk in coop with TONS of venting (open sofits) they are 7&8 weeks old. They are the only ones with added heat. That lamp is secured with chains to prevent falling. There are 4 coops. Chickens are in 3 and the 4th has 7 ducks.
The only thing I am worried about is that lamp.

That helps a lot. I've been waiting to name the hens just in case something goes wrong, because it's harder to lose a named pet. Reading these forums gives you lots of examples of things going wrong. They're such nice hens. Even the rooster is good tempered. Loving the new pets!

Thanks to the well-wishers. They are used to people and quite tame. When I held one of them at the show, she just snuggled down. So soft and pretty! Then I had to have them. I was planning on a flock of chickens for some time, and everything was already here and ready, including the feed.

The rooster pretty much named himself. I grew up using those wind-up alarm clocks that are marked Big Ben, the ones everybody used before the world pretty much switched to electric alarm clocks. He's an alarm clock wanna-be, but the joke is on him. I'm up before he is. So, he is Big Ben. He has a nice big comb. Around what temperature should I put vaseline on it to protect it?

Back
Top Bottom