What Kind Of Wood Protectant Should I Use?

Thick bird poop covered everything
Extreme differences between the scenario you describe,
and 'wiping' down walls, roosts, nests, ramps, etc.
I just scrape the big stuff off, it's all stained but not a biohazard(unless you lick it-haha!).

like stalagtites or stalagmites or whatever those things are that you see in caves.
Stalactites-hold tight to the ceiling. Stalagmites, might reach the ceiling.
That's how I learned to remember it, when visiting a cave.

Poop boards catch 75% of the droppings in my coop. Best thing I've ever installed and cheap or free. You can use scrap ply covered with linoleum. I use large galvanized metal signs since I had them around all the time and years later they scrape easily and can pull them out and hose them down if needed. Friend of mine uses large piece of sheet metal
Most of the time the won't poop in the nesting box unless they are allowed to roost in them.
Converting a building is your best bet especially since it hasn't had other chickens and less worry of cross contamination if it was in the condition you say I just ( still working on final touches) recently converted an old pool shed into an awesome coop. It's hard but really fun and rewarding when you watch them enjoying it

Extreme differences between the scenario you describe,
and 'wiping' down walls, roosts, nests, ramps, etc.
I just scrape the big stuff off, it's all stained but not a biohazard(unless you lick it-haha!).

Stalactites-hold tight to the ceiling. Stalagmites, might reach the ceiling.
That's how I learned to remember it, when visiting a cave.
Agreed. Chicken coop will never be spotless... chickens live there! I can barely keep my home spotless and I don't poop on my floor! Haha But shouldn't be biohazard and unhealthy

Here are pictures of the building taken when I was cleaning it out. The bags are all trash that was in it (when I bought the place) and are gone. Behind them is a boarded up opening that I plan to use to let the chickens go out to the run. I love the wooden walls and would like to keep that, but am thinking of putting something on the shelves/future nest box area.

Spotless is never going to happen, but I'd like to make the place as easy to clean as possible. It'll make life easier for me and the future flock.

And I wish I could unsee those pictures of that coop.

20200916_151435.jpg
20200916_151430.jpg

Last edited:
How often do you plan on applying the whitewash?

Good question.

I have read that an annual refresh was the practice "back in the day" although I wonder how religiously that was actually followed. I believe this was driven by effectiveness of the lime base on pest deterrence rather than appearance.

I did two coats of whitewash in September 2019 as I wanted a stronger white than what the 1st coat provided. Other than a slight coating of "dust" from the inside dust bath (combo of sand and ash) which can be blown or brushed off easily the brightness of white remains.

Your question reminded me, I need to go back and research to confirm that pest deterrence is impacted.

they will roost on top shelf whether you want them to or not they will roost for highest place available. i put up 2 6' long roosts 3' high but 2 of my chickens would each roost on thin metal bracket 6' high where i removed a shelf so they wouldnt roost on it
that lumber is in good shape and could probably reuse it and not have to purchase any for boxes and roosts.
thats what i did. when i cut open the gable i reused that wood for nest boxes amd steps.

Back
Top Bottom