Chickens Freezing?

Pics
ive had chickens outside its -10 aslong as long they have a shelter they cano get away from the cold wind/draft and rain there fine, just make sure they get food and water, they have feathers thats what there for to protect them from the cold, you can line the inside of the coup with styrafoam foam insulation, its a pink color about inch thick and is moisture proof can get at home depot.
I personally wouldn’t suggest lining the inside of a coop with styrofoam unless the chickens don’t have access to it. We tried to line the a spot on the ceiling with the blue styrofoam and the chickens pecked at it. I worried that they would eat it so we took it down.

Put styrofoam in heavy bags tape closed,then tape to roof and walls,not block vents.Then large heavy black tarp wrapped around .2" thick at least,for styrofoam.tape like a present.Will work miracles .

That little coop ,if it's cleaned daily,kept dry,dose t need that much cold air coming in.Lets not see who's chicken can survive the coldest while suffering.I see many frostbite and deaths mentioned on here too.
Get a couple cozy coop heaters,and give them a comfortable life.Much more room to run too.They can't be a bird in a caged,keep thermometer ,humidity gauge in coop,as well..Thats jail.good luck.
Our cozy heaters just arrived. Looking forward to trying them this winter.

Put styrofoam in heavy bags tape closed,then tape to roof and walls,not block vents.Then large heavy black tarp wrapped around .2" thick at least,for styrofoam.tape like a present.Will work miracles .
My chickens peck at everything. I left a bag of shavings in the coop and they made holes in the plastic.

I've had chickens 4 1/2 years and never added heat during winter with temps down to -15 Fahrenheit, -8 F inside coop.
The coop I built is 18 square feet and had 5 Golden Comets in my first Flock.
Currently I have 5 ISA Browns occupying it.
20200825_193001_resized.jpg

Ventilation is key to happy dry chickens.
Inside look at vents.
20201031_132734_resized_1.jpg

Outside look.
20201010_145314_resized_1.jpg

Closed windows allow ventilation below vents by positioning hinges as shown.
20201029_170200_resized_1.jpg

I also did not fill grooves between siding and window frames.
Roosts are located opposite side away from windows and vents.
20200821_183834_resized_1.jpg

I keep feed and water on heated base during winter in both coops 24/7.
20201025_173736_resized_1.jpg

I added vents to my bought coop (22.5 square feet) above windows.
20190527_193440-2_kindlephoto-3074938.jpg

The coop came with a 3" vent on both sides towards the front.
I always leave this window open, except during a windy Noreaster, (windows face east).
20181104_151017_kindlephoto-24365180.jpg

Roosts are opposite windows.
20201025_175015_resized.jpg

Notice narrow roosts. Never had frost bitten toes through 2 winters with Barred Rocks with lows down to -7 F, -1 F inside coop with up to 7 Barred Rocks.
A recent photo of 3 occupants.
20200827_060742_resized_1.jpg

Of course I have winter hearty full size hens. I've read they can survive temps down to -20 F, -28 C with proper draft free ventilation.
Barred Rocks are duel purpose with smaller combs and wattles.
My Golden Comets and ISA Browns are hybrids with large combs and wattles.
A photo of the last Golden Comet taken last July at 4+ years old. No frostbite on this comb.
20200511_093718_resized.jpg

I lost all GCs to egg laying problems. I lost 4 Barred Rocks, one to prolapse, one culled for bad behavior and two to a predator while free ranging.
None were lost to cold weather. GC

ETC; spelling and add that my raised coops are rodent proof when I close pop door after sunset. GC

Last edited:
I've had chickens 4 1/2 years and never added heat during winter with temps down to -15 Fahrenheit, -8 F inside coop.
The coop I built is 18 square feet and had 5 Golden Comets in my first Flock.
Currently I have 5 ISA Browns occupying it.View attachment 2395134
Ventilation is key to happy dry chickens.
Inside look at vents.View attachment 2395078
Outside look.View attachment 2395079
Closed windows allow ventilation below vents by positioning hinges as shown.View attachment 2395080
I also did not fill groves between siding and window frames.
Roosts are located opposite side away from windows and vents.View attachment 2395092
I keep feed and water on heated base during winter in both coops 24/7.View attachment 2395093
I added vents to my bought coop (22.5 square feet) above windows.View attachment 2395096
The coop came with a 3" vent on both sides towards the front.
I always leave this window open, except during a windy Noreaster, (windows face east). View attachment 2395099
Roosts are opposite windows.View attachment 2395102
Notice narrow roosts. Never had frost bitten toes through 2 winters with Barred Rocks with lows down to -7 F, -1 F inside coop with up to 7 Barred Rocks.
A recent photo of 3 occupants.View attachment 2395139
Of course I have winter hearty full size hens. I've read they can survive temps down to -20 F, -28 C with proper draft free ventilation.
Barred Rocks are duel purpose with smaller combs and wattles.
My Golden Comets and ISA Browns are hybrids with large combs and wattles.
A photo of the last Golden Comet taken last July at 4+ years old. No frostbite on this comb.View attachment 2395122
I lost all GCs to egg laying problems. I lost 4 Barred Rocks, one to prolapse, one culled for bad behavior and two to a predator while free ranging.
None were lost to cold weather. GC
Regarding roots: I put in wide roosts for my chickens. Most of them prefer to roost in the rafters - you know, with the narrow side up. I’ve never seen frostbite on any toes. I don’t think it much matters which side of the 2x4 you use. We do get some pretty cold temps here, too. In the -20s at least a couple weeks each winter.

I don’t think it much matters which side of the 2x4 you use.
I agree, my chickens eagerly roost on 1.5 inch and 2.5 inch wide roosts.
I used 2"x 3" roosts wide side up in the coop I built.
I have been thinking about turning the 2"x 3" roosts in the bought coop. But so far no reason too. GC

On Saturday I bought three pullets that are about ready to start laying and a rooster. They are in a commercial, two-story chicken coop. It will get down to 20 degrees F tonight. I was talking to a friend who said they could freeze to death in that cold. I found some thick cardboard and put in on the bottom of the top part, and covered it with wood shavings. They are cuckoo leghorns. I don't want to lose them. Will they be OK overnight? The rooster has a nice tall comb. At about what temperature should I put vaseline on it? Worried first time chicken keeper here.
I got a very cool heater on amazon. Looks like a small flat screen tv. Radiant heat. no problems . they all 4 sit in front of it at night. no where near the cold that you have

Back
Top Bottom