Chickens get to free range

scooter147

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
Ok, the garden is done producing, the garden pond is fenced off, the house plants have been brought in, and the flower beds fenced off (done in the spring) Therefore, the chickens get to have run of the yard when I am home.
This past weekend I was home both days so first thing in the morning they had access to the yard where did they spend most of their time on two of the most beautiful fall days you will ever experience?
Yep, in their run....go figure.

Yea, it figures. My flock is full time free range. I brought home two new chickens from a local livestock auction a few days ago. The rooster went right out but the hen spends most of her time either in a nest or on the roost!

It's just new for them. Believe it or not but chickens can be ... chicken! Sometimes it takes them a while to feel safe/comfortable with new things. Give them a few days and they'll be running the gate to get out when they see you coming!

You're going to love watching them scratch around in your yard.

I agree w/Chirpy. They were a bit timid to leave at first, staying pretty close to the barn and coop. Now they almost go to my neighbors (much to my chagrin). I have to call them back sometimes. And my chickens now STAND by the door, staring at me, anytime I am nearby hoping I'll let them out. They have a good sized run too!

Back
Top Bottom