Chickens get worms?

Lu King

Songster
11 Years
Dec 9, 2008
On the Titanic
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but..............

I read somewhere that chickens get worms and you have to give them medicine to get rid of the worms. Anything else I need to be aware of in chickens?

Sometimes, they do get worms, however, a healthy bird can handle a minor worm load. When you see worms in their poop, you can worm them. I've had a flock over three years and have only wormed them twice, and only because I saw one worm in a rooster's poop. Free range birds usually eat natural anti worm plants, so they are less likely to have them than penned birds, I've read. Mine have been free range for most of their lives.

my chickens get em fromthe garden and eat them... (
couldn't resist
cool.png
)

Quote:
smile.png

That brings up another question. If you allow your chickens in the garden...will they eat the bugs or eat the tomatoes and other things that they like to eat.

Quote:
smile.png

That brings up another question. If you allow your chickens in the garden...will they eat the bugs or eat the tomatoes and other things that they like to eat.

They'll eat the bugs and the tomatoes and the squash and basically anything that tastes good to them.

Quote:
smile.png

They'll eat the bugs and the tomatoes and the squash and basically anything that tastes good to them.

Guinneas are supposed to eat the bugs and not the vegetables but I have no experience with them. Chickens will definitely eat the vegetables.

I've never wormed mine. I have had chickens for about 17 years. Mine are free range part of the time, because I like my tomatoes without chicken pecks, same goes for my lettuce, squash etc., but I like that they eat grass, weeds, bugs, seeds and stuff I cannot see. When I had a small yard, they kept the grass down.

Quote:
I worm mine every fall and spring with Waxine. You put it in their water and that's it.

I use the same method, and was going to sugest it here.
Once in the fall once in the spring, wheather or not you see them, isnt a real good indication of them having them or not. Any thing that eats off the dirt, gets intestinal worms, be it a dog, cat, horse or birds.
And I dont tend to look at the poop too much either, LOL
Waxzine is really cheap and very effective, a $7 bottle will worm most any private flock easily.
And for the heath and happiness of our birds, isnt it better to be safe than sorry?

Aubrey

Back
Top Bottom