chickens going into coop at night

Im having similar problems. My chickens have been in the coop for a little over a week. Ive been letting the girls out but they refuse to use the ramp. Past two days its rained while i was letting them out on their trial outdoor time, rather than looking for shelter they just huddle together in the middle of the yard. Tonight i was hoping they would get the idea but instead the were perched in a tree next to the coop. How can i persuade them to go to bed?

I found that when you first put chicks in the coop you keep them in for about a week without going outside. That way they learn where home and their roosting spot is. After the first week I open the coop sliding door to the run and let them be for the day, most times they went right in at dusk if not the first night they would the second after being prompted in once. If that doesn't work I guess you're stuck doing it every night till they get it which shouldn't take too long...
smile.png

I was really nervous after reading that it may take a couple of weeks for the baby's to go inside the coup at night so when I took them (my baby's) out side I took them in a small dog cage. I went outside in the run and sat down, opened the door to the cage and just sat there. While this was going on my some went in and got there water er from the brooder and some crumbles. After 30 min or so the most dominating of the bunch came out of the dog cage and got onto my lap. I waited another 15 min or so and took the other 7 out of the dog cage and shut the door. Really wish I could have got a picture of my baby's, they climbed all over me. But at that moment the domineering older girls came over to check them out. Boy was I scared!!!! They bossy baby went up to her and introduced herself, I would be lying if I said there was no pecking but sat in there for 2 more hours and when I felt big boss was getting to mean I would tell her aaat and shed stop.
I got up and went to the house for 30-45 min I then came out and put the 8 baby's in the hen house with crumble inside and there water bottle. They stayed inside the house for a few days (i kept there water filled) But as of today they are hanging outside and in with the big girls, and drinking from the big girls water. It has taken a week and was rather simple.

They went in their coop for the first time all on their own tonight!! I suspect they still dont use their ramp though, guess they will pick it up eventually.

Mine seemed to catch on really quickly to going to bed at night.

To begin with there would always be one, who would still be up later then all the others, but when they see everyone else has gone in they normally follow. One of our boys got into the
other section (he is separated with a few females because his smaller then the hens, plus the hens have our other cockerel living with them), anyhoo the lil cockerel managed to jump over to the other side(the fence is 8ft and he is wing clipped ... he jumped onto a rabbit hutch then hopped over), and having never been in with the girls, took himself off to their bed that night...

Guess it all depends on the bird, just keep with it :D

Back
Top Bottom