Chickens Got A Taste Of Their Own Eggs! Help!

Chickenlovers6

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 3, 2013
I was bringing in the eggs for the evening and accidentally dropped one. Before I could get it, my chickens we already on it
barnie.gif
. I was able to get the yolk out, but shells and white were eaten. Will they start eating their own eggs after laying them and/or will something else happen? If so, is there anything I can do to stop it?
hmm.png

I often crack and splat cracked or over dirty eggs and my chickens are on them like piranha, I don't have a problem with egg eating even though mine get to eat eggs all the time, I do make sure it doesn't resemble an egg, nothing round. Eggs in the nestboxes should be safe, those on the ground will usually get eaten. I wouldn't worry about it for now. It can help to keep ceramic eggs in the nest to keep any curious pecking hens from being successful.

I have a hen that lays thin shelled eggs and occasionally it accidentally gets broken in the nest presumably when another hen stands on it. The broken egg gets devoured shell and all but the intact eggs are always left, usually caked in egg and bedding stuck like glue to them and of course the nest iitself is gooey and has to be cleaned out. I've never had a problem with them eating any other eggs and I have 29 hens and several roosters. It's been going on for years and it's always just Anna's egg, so I wouldn't worry too much about your mishap.

Back
Top Bottom