Chickens GOT Rained on! Will they DIE?

Akachicklil

Songster
Dec 6, 2021
South Florida.
Hello Everyone,

I had my chickens outdoors in their little playpen on the grass. They are not yet integrated so I take them there to have some free time. I went inside the house and did not realize that it started to rain. I think they must of been outside in medium rain for over 30 min. It’s not cold rain as I live in south Florida and the temp is in the mid 80s. I ran out and took them back inside a covered area. I felt horrible because they had no shelter in that pen and where just sort of standing under the direct rain. Once I took them inside I blew dry them. They weren’t not soaked but I just wanted to keep them dry. I’m no worried and paranoid that they are going to get sick!

Should I freak out about them getting aspiration pneumonia?

Do you think they accidentally can inhail the rain as if just rains on top of their little heads without shelter?

I have them in their little inclosed area and they seem just fine. But now I’m just wondering if they are no going to die!?

Please help. I have a picture of the play pen so you can get an idea of the open space that was not covered.

Attachments

• 448891C1-03A0-4BD2-A27C-DA47EDA497AA.jpeg
    448891C1-03A0-4BD2-A27C-DA47EDA497AA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
How wet are they? My chickens prefer to stand in the rain sometimes. Are they acting ok? Make sure they have a nice warm non drafty spot now. How old are they? I’m guessing they will be alright.

We're in central FL. We've had chickens for 8 yrs, so you know living in FL they get monsooned on sometimes, looking like little drowned rats when it's over. We rarely have any get sick and die, only once in a blue moon do we have a Chick that was young and didn't follow the others to cover. I'm sure your girls will be fine.

In the future though I would have a little piece of cover on your play area since they're confined to it and can't seek their own. I'd be more worried about a predator like a hawk getting them than the rain. Just my $ .02

They
How wet are they? My chickens prefer to stand in the rain sometimes. Are they acting ok? Make sure they have a nice warm non drafty spot now. How old are they? I’m guessing they will be alright.
They are doing great! I think I just over react and freak out about a lot of things. I love my little babies. I think they were outside for not too long and they were not soaking wet! Thank you so much!

I have some chickens that will go out to hunt in the rain because they've learned that it brings up the worms and forces beetles and grasshoppers to climb up into chicken range to get out of the wet.
Wonderful and reassuring!! My babies are ok! I think I just worried because I lost track of time! So neat that they love to hunt in the rain. It makes sense.

In the future though I would have a little piece of cover on your play area since they're confined to it and can't seek their own. I'd be more worried about a predator like a hawk getting them than the rain. Just my $ .02
Thank you! That’s a good idea. I actually do have it fully covered with wire cloth so that they cannot jump out. The thing is that when it rains water can still go through the wire. But keeping perhaps a quarter of the wire cover covered with perhaps a cut out of tarp might not be a bad idea in the event that it rains next time.

We're in central FL. We've had chickens for 8 yrs, so you know living in FL they get monsooned on sometimes, looking like little drowned rats when it's over. We rarely have any get sick and die, only once in a blue moon do we have a Chick that was young and didn't follow the others to cover. I'm sure your girls will be fine.
They are good! Thank you sooo much! I was so scared!

Back
Top Bottom