chickens hatched March 18th still not layjng

stclairmomx4

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
virginia
HI I have 4 rhode island reds and 4 brahmas. They were all hatched March 18th and I still haven't got one egg! We have a good sized coop, one rooster, I've been giving them laying feed for several weeks, and have been giving ouser shells for the last week. We haven't got any eggs... at this point with it getting colder I'm not sure if we will get any until spring! Any advice?

They have alot of light in there. One side of the coop is just fencing. It is all under roof though.
They need 12 to 14 hours of light to lay well . Check the size of their vent to see if they have been laying . They may be hiding when they lay or even eating their eggs . In the picture they look as if they are laying or close to laying .

I've seriously considered the fact that they may be laying and someone is stealing them! Seriously we've got some shady people that live behind us.. what kind of lamp would you recommend getting to put in their coop in case theyre not getting enough light? I checked their vent and it's about two finger width!

I use a lamp timer or a outdoor timer for xmas lights . The outdoor timers come on at dusk and can be set for 2 ,4, 6 or dusk to dawn . Depending on coop size for light size . 25 to 60 watt equivalent is enough . Checking 2 fingers should be laying . Also check the opening . If a egg has passed through then the opening is large moist and pliable . If not the opening is small . You could have a egg thief .

Back
Top Bottom