Chickens hatching duck eggs

Thankyou all

But I guess, it is of no use now

I never had a broody hen before. So didn't know my hen was broody, I found out when she didn't came out of her roosting area today, she was continuously sitting on eggs. Today all day I waited for her to get out of her nest to eat or drink.
I kept waiting for a chance to put duck eggs in her nest, and now its over 24 hours. While the hen must be starving, I guess it wont be worth a while if I can put eggs in her nest tomorrow by chance?

You can put the eggs under her when she is on the nest... she will just give you a few pecks.

She will accept any eggs you put under her at this time.

But you should take away her chicken eggs.... otherwise they will hatch earlier than the duck eggs and she will leave the unhatched duck eggs to chill when she takes her chicks away to find food.

Broody hen will only leave the nest a couple times a day to eat and drink and poop. Mostly they do it when its all calm and no one is around to see... they are very sneaky... that's because in the wild they do it to hide their nest from predators.

But you should take away her chicken eggs.... otherwise they will hatch earlier than the duck eggs and she will leave the unhatched duck eggs to chill when she takes her chicks away to find food.

Broody hen will only leave the nest a couple times a day to eat and drink and poop. Mostly they do it when its all calm and no one is around to see... they are very sneaky... that's because in the wild they do it to hide their nest from predators.
Well, then I will let her hatch those 3 eggs of her own. I have about a dozen or maybe more duck eggs. Maybe a duck of mine go broody soon.

Back
Top Bottom