chickens hatching eggs in winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Just Wingin It, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Just Wingin It

Just Wingin It Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    centerville texas
    My neibors young son came over and wants to hatch the egg I gave him. So I told him to mark it and put it back in the nest.
    Its winter, do you think it can be hatched? Can a chicken keep her chicks warm enough in winter? Im in central texas, it does get to freezing.

He is thinking of names for his chick, and drew a happy face on his egg. So cute.

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I have a broody Jersey Giant right now. She's sitting on four fertile eggs (I'm just kind of humoring her. If they hatch, great, if not, oh well.) The high for Monday here in So. IL is 4 degrees. I have her under a 250 watt heat lamp bulb in a room in the barn with a space heater that shuts off and turns on every 15 minutes. I'm hoping that this will be enough. That's mainly so the hen is comfy. Just kind of keep things warmer so the hen can retain body heat and she should be able to keep the babies warm. [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    As long as she is broody, yes, the egg and chick will be fine, assuming it develops all the way to hatch. He only put the one egg under her?

4. Just Wingin It

Just Wingin It Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    centerville texas
    He put 2 back in th nest, I added a few more.
    Unfortunately she switched nests while I was on vacation and the ones he marked froze, but there are many more developing chicks in the new nest now. He will have some to see still.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by