Chickens hatching Pheasant Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kung Foo Chicken, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Will chickens hatch Pheasant eggs? I was curious for a fun project. My brother's co worker sells Golden and Ringneck. Two dozen eggs for 10.00. I was curious if a lighter chicken could hatch them.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    When I was a kid, we put pheasant eggs under an OEG and she hatched them out.... but she wasn't very good at taking care of them. They were very flighty... and we lost all of them. We should have had the hen and the chicks in a separate pen.

3. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I have hatched them from beneath a chicken. As soon as they hatched I took them and put them in a brooder and raised them my self. They did real well..

4. Kung Foo Chicken

Kung Foo Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks. I didn't want to fool with the LG anymore after this next hatch and shut it down for a year or two. I have two broody hens. One I'm letting sit on 13 D'uccle eggs. The other I have been throwing off the nest every evening. I might stick some pheasant eggs under her if it works out and transfer them to a small cage I already have.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by