Chickens have Stopped using Coop at night & their Nesting Boxes to Lay Their Eggs

kimi

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Truth or Consequences New Mexico
No idea why. I lost a girl to a snake bite about 3 weeks ago (Not in the coop, in the barn about 100 feet away) & it seems that it started right after that. First, about 3 or 4 would disappear @ night (they are free ranged on 3 acres) and come back in the morning. Every night, a couple more wouldn't come back. Now only 4 are coming to the coop for lock down. A few of them are roosting in the open barn on the goat fence. the rest however spend 75% of the day, as well as night, underneath a large old shed beside the garage.
We've gone from getting close to 20 eggs a day to 2 or 3 in the coop and sometimes we find a couple in the back corner of the hay barn (also open front)

We are moving from our rental to our own Farm in 12 days & I am freaking out trying to figure out how I am going to make sure I have all of my birds.

How do you get them to start using the coop again? Being free range, they aren't real partial to being picked up.

My chickens are free range, but I also have a small run that has an opening in it for them. I can close the run off if I need to. I also give them treats everyday and call them. They come running and I throw the treats into the run and close the door if I know I need to have access to them the next day.
I would suggest starting to give them treats everyday and have an area available that you can close off when you need to catch them that they are comfortable going into so you can catch them before you move.
D.gif

We do have a large run off of the coop & they do get treats every day.... You just gave me an idea. Here's to hoping it works! Thanks!

I still wish I could figure out WHY they gave up the coop.....

Back
Top Bottom