Chickens have worms

mommiesrcool

Free Ranging
Jul 6, 2020
Dn
So I got up and I was told my mom cleaned out the chicken's coop and she said she saw only 1 white worm in the poop. I was sleeping so I couldn't see it but here's the thing so I actually just treated them for worms for gape worms bc around this time of year my last flock had it, and one of my chickens was opening her mouth wide and I got paranoid. So I wanted to be safe and they just finished their treatment yesterday on Monday.

I treated them with SafeGuard equine dewormer (fenbendazole)
on a piece of bread for five days straight I put maybe like an amount up to the first line on your finger.
I only have two chickens and idk which one has the worms and I don't know what to do now. I don't have electrolytes, I don't have a separate place to put them either.

I just asked her what the worm looked like and she said it was white small and skinny idk if that helps.

Last edited:
So I got up and I was told my mom cleaned out the chicken's coop and she said she saw only 1 white worm in the poop. I was sleeping so I couldn't see it but here's the thing so I actually just treated them for worms for gape worms bc around this time of year my last flock had it, and one of my chickens was opening her mouth wide and I got paranoid. So I wanted to be safe and they just finished their treatment yesterday on Monday.

on a piece of bread for five days straight I put maybe like an amount up to the first line on your finger.
I only have two chickens and idk which one has the worms and I don't know what to do now. I don't have electrolytes, I don't have a separate place to put them either.

I just asked her what the worm looked like and she said it was white small and skinny idk if that helps.
If it is the safegaurd in a tube that you squeeze out, then you only do a pea-sized amount on a piece of food to make it more appetizing. You only need to do that once for each bird, not several times. Also the worm sounds like a Caecal worm. (Image: backyard)

If it is the safegaurd in a tube that you squeeze out, then you only do a pea-sized amount on a piece of food to make it more appetizing. You only need to do that once for each bird, not several times. Also the worm sounds like a Caecal worm. (Image: backyard)
Oh I didn’t know that ty I didn’t get to see the worm but it looks like what she described. And yes it’s in like a Syringe. So does that dewormer kill that type of worm? Like do I need to do anything else?

Safeguard is dosed by weight. "Pea Size" is just guessing really and a lot of times under dosing.
Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight. Give once, then repeat in 10 days to treat Roundworms only. To treat other types of worms including roundworms, but not tapeworms, give orally once a day for 5 days.

There's really no way to know what type of worm it was without seeing photos of it.

It'd probably be a good idea to show your mom pictures of different worms so she can confirm what she noticed. I'm not sure where you're located but where I am, the heat is welcoming flies and oftentimes where there's flies and poop, you'll find larvae (maggots). I may be mistaken but in the right setting, you can see maggots in 24 hours or less. Tape worms and round worms are some other worms that can be visible to the naked eye. I wish you the best. You've received replies above from some of the most trusted folks here 💜

Back
Top Bottom