Chickens, head severely picked and can’t stand. Please help.

Now you're on the right track.
Potential dislocation, fracture or internal injuries.
I would take care placing her in the sling, making sure it's not putting pressure on any tender areas, but being in the sling can sometimes still be helpful.
Look at her skin along the keel bone and see if there's any green or purple bruising.
It just felt a little different on one side. I don’t see any discoloration but here’s a photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 10
Thank you for the advice and encouragement I will update you on how she is doing in the morning. It is around 11:30 for me and I need to get to bed
Please do :) I wish you a good sleep, you definitely deserve it.

Also, a little thought on her rolling to her side--could be just as simple as trying to avoid an inflamed part inside of her. My little lambykins did the same thing when she had inflammation.

Anyway, may yours be a good rest. Goodnight to you.

I’m gonna put her in the sling for tonight but I have to go to bed. It’s 11:30 goodbye everybody. Will update in the morning
Hard to see on my mobile what's going on. But if it feels swollen, fluidy, it will be likely extravasation into tissues, a sign of inflammation.

But goodnight to you and I really am rallying for your lil girl to pull through this.

Hard to see on my mobile what's going on. But if it feels swollen, fluidy, it will be likely extravasation into tissues, a sign of inflammation.

But goodnight to you and I really am rallying for your lil girl to pull through this.
Update: she is still gasping for air, she also feels more stiff. She still moves her legs, but barely before she would thrash them.

I gave the antibiotic and the anti-inflammatory. I am also trying to syringe feed her, and I gave her a bit of Nutra drench.

Last edited:
Update: she is still gasping for air, she also feels more stiff. She still moves her legs, but barely before she would thrash them.

I gave the antibiotic and the anti-inflammatory. I am also trying to syringe feed her, and I gave her a Nutra drench.
I don't have any advice, but I am pulling for the baby. I looked though the post and can't find how this happened? We have some 8-week-old chicks we are trying to introduce to our older hens and this is one of my fears.

I don't have any advice, but I am pulling for the baby. I looked though the post and can't find how this happened? We have some 8-week-old chicks we are trying to introduce to our older hens and this is one of my fears.
I don’t even know how it happened. She has been with the flock for five months peacefully and nothing like this is happened. She was raised by a hen and ran with the flock as a little baby. Some advice I would give for introducing new chickens. First, wait until they’re the same size. Then separate them for a few days then put them together at night after a week first thing that morning put out lots of treats. Some fighting is inevitable, but as long as there’s no blood or serious wounds they should work it out.

I gave the antibiotic and the anti-inflammatory. I am also trying to syringe feed her, and I gave her a bit of Nutra drench.
Okay. Anti-inflammatory and antibiotic will still be priority at this stage. Great that you are trying to feed and water her.

Antibiotic: a Pekin duck will be around 9 lbs. It is very important the dosage for chicky is right. It would be great to try and weigh her so we can compare directly and adjust dosage of trimethoprim.

Correct dosage is 14mg per pound of bodyweight every 12 or 24 hours.

If the antibiotic container nowhere says what dosage of trimethoprim is in container, we can guess the correct dosage:

(Chick's weight / pekin duck weight) x 3cc
=> approx dosage.

It may be great to change antibiotic if at all possible. But I understand budget may not support that at this time. It would likely mean vet (and then they could do full investigation).

If she is uncomfortable in sling, (leg thrashing cause?) see how she feels out of it, support with rolled towels. Has she only been gaping since sling? Remove immediately to a supported position of comfort, as sling might be pressing fluid in compartment against lungs. Support with rolled towels. She can be on haunches for now if that is what she prefers.

Further:

Check her body for hot, squishy areas. Does she drip fluid from break in a forward tilt position? (Trying to nail inflammation. Gaping often indicates lung involvement, even peri-pneumal fluid, fluid around lung as inflammation causes fluid to arise in this and any compartment in body).

Stiffness could be a sign of neuromuscular compromise, we suspect then electrolytes-- maintain fluids with electrolytes, please.

Importantly, any other symptoms?

I have:
Major open head wound. She did a little better then--progressed to unstable gait, difficulty standing, mouth breathing with use of accessory muscles, lack of appetite, refusing fluids.

Are there any other symptoms?

Another obvious thing, have you looked inside her mouth? Often needs a helper. But if can we look inside her mouth, we can make sure there is no obvious obstruction, canker, plaque. Then we can rule out obvious physical issues. At that point we are dealing with systemic inflammation, infection, or compromise of muscle and or nerve tissue.

Back
Top Bottom