Chickens, head severely picked and can’t stand. Please help.

Pics
Apr 28, 2020
Montgomery County Pennsylvania
I came out to my coop this morning to give them food and water, and I found one of the older chicks laying on the ground. I thought she was just bathing at first but now she has a severe injury. I have a decent sized first aid kit for chickens, but I don’t know what to use to make her better. I also don’t know why she is not standing. She’s moving her legs, but won’t stand. I can see the skull I have her separated in a dog crate in the house. Is it better to treat or to put her down

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    994.1 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 53
First is to stop any bleeding, and restore hemodynamics with fluids, even if you have to gently use eyedropper. Could be blood loss or just shock. Do not put down at this point.

A guide to making saline and wound care is here:
https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com/feed-health/chicken-wound-care/

come on lil guy! Pull through!
Will this salt work for making the saline solution? That’s all I have right now and also will a paper towel work for dabbing up the blood after cleaning the wound

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 49
Will this salt work for making the saline solution? That’s all I have right now and also will a paper towel work for dabbing up the blood after cleaning the wound
Yes, looks like it is just straight up salt no additives. So good to go. Yes, use even toilet paper, if youre sure it wont leave little bits in her wound.. otherwise soft cloth. Youve got this, its going to be ok!

As you wait on saline think about administration of fluids. Check for antibiotic in your first aid kit...

Back
Top Bottom