Chicken can’t walk

Falsa

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2023
One of my hens one morning just stopped walking. She can’t stand or walk and is sitting all day. We tried to help her walk but she cannot. Other than that she seems completely healthy and fine. She also stoped eating and drinking. I’m so lost. I have no idea what to do and don’t even know why this is helping.

How old is your chickens, and does she lay eggs? Do you have a rooster or could she have hurt her back or legs jumping? Is she moving her legs and feet or curling her toes? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent months?

How old is your chickens, and does she lay eggs? Do you have a rooster or could she have hurt her back or legs jumping? Is she moving her legs and feet or curling her toes? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent months?
My hen is 3 and a half years old and she doesn’t lay any eggs. Any yes we do have a rooster, so that may be it however her toes are are also curled up. She can move her legs ever so slightly but barely enough to stand or walk. She is vaccinated for a ton of thing but I’m not sure what. When we got her as a chick we weren’t told what, so I have no idea. But she is vaccinated for something. No, there have been no new birds to the flock for years now.

You could try giving some human vitamin B complex 1/4-1/2 tablet daily orally or crushed into some food for a couple of weeks to see if there is improvement. That would treat a riboflavin deficiency. What type of diet is she taking? Lameness and curled toes could be associated with possible Mareks disease. Other possibilities would be nerve damage or infection/tumor pressing on sciatic nerves in the legs. Have you seen the thread in chicken sling chairs which can be helpful to lame or disabled chickens? Posts 5, 11-15 are good:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom