Chicken stopped standing, can’t walk

markdavies

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2023
I have a 12 week old Cream Legbar (Clara) who out of nowhere just lost her balance and couldn’t walk or stand. It happened suddenly all is one day.
I first thought she had a fall or a bad landing or something of the sort.. I immediately separated her from the flock, brought her inside gave her poultry cell in her beak etc. I thought maybe it was a fractured leg as she was dominating one leg more than another. I did wrap it for a few days with a soft splint, but it didn’t seem to help. She cannot stand up as she falls backwards. It’s super sad. She’s eating, drinking and pooping normally. Yes, I’ve checked for Bumblefoot, mites and anything else.
It’s been one week and there’s absolutely no improvement. I’m not sure what I should do. I don’t know if this is a sign of Marek’s ?
I’ve searched on all the forums about paralyzed Chickens , and I’m getting nowhere, and help would be appreciated.

IMG_1545.jpeg

Thanks for your guidance folks. Her diet is a starter crumble by Nutrena. She has a real hard time even getting up, one leg is an out to the side and she has little strength in her grip. She’s still eager to eat, and has been eating arugula and blueberries too. If it is Mareks, I take it she won’t recover? So sad as I love this bird.

Most chickens with Mareks do not recover. In rare cases they may get better, but later may die of tumors. But be aware that other things may mimic Mareks. Give her some time, give supportive care if possible. Do get a necropsy and testing through the state vet if you lose her to get a diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom