Chickens head shaking,really drowsy

obieandhisgirls

Chirping
May 17, 2018
Somewhere in canada
i have a 6-7 month old chicken who is not laying yet, a couple days ago she all a sudden got the symptoms of a cold so I gave her some super booster ( vitamin water).today I came out this morning and she was still drowsy and her head was shaking not like a shiver it was weird she will bearly eat and drink. I noticed that another hen was pulling out her neck feathers and eating them so maybe that's why her head is shaking help!

i have a 6-7 month old chicken who is not laying yet, a couple days ago she all a sudden got the symptoms of a cold so I gave her some super booster ( vitamin water).today I came out this morning and she was still drowsy and her head was shaking not like a shiver it was weird she will bearly eat and drink. I noticed that another hen was pulling out her neck feathers and eating them so maybe that's why her head is shaking help!
Update i found out she has mites

Can you post some photos?
Poop photos too.
What are her "cold" symptoms - coughing, sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, facial swelling, etc.?
Tell us about what you are feeding her, including treats.

You will want to treat the mites, get a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust from your feed store.
I would still check her over very well for other issues. A mite infestation, if severe, can make them weak for sure, but you will still want to make sure the crop is emptying overnight and examine her for any swelling or bloat in the abdomen.

Look for something similar to these at your feed store.

81U5l7yi-qL._AC_SS350_.jpg

Look for something similar to these at your feed store.

81U5l7yi-qL._AC_SS350_.jpg
Quick question that will hopefully also help the OP: is the 10% permethrin diluted prior to treating the chicken and coop?
I would think full strength is too much for use directly on the chicken, maybe not on the coop.

Quick question that will hopefully also help the OP: is the 10% permethrin diluted prior to treating the chicken and coop?
I would think full strength is too much for use directly on the chicken, maybe not on the coop.
Good question! Yes, you would dilute that according to the instructions on the bottle:)
So if buying the concentrate, get a spray bottle so you can treat the birds.
A larger sprayer for lawn/garden would work well when treating the coop.

She was weeping and sneezing and just lazy would not move. Now she won't move anymore and she is a little bit of balance she is not wheezing g anymore and I will try to get a pick of her poop

She has stopped shaking her head here is a pick of her and her poop. We are feeding her the layer feed at our local feed store and we haven't given her that many treats lately, as she is a picky chicken
IMG_1659.JPG
IMG_1660.JPG
IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1659.JPG
IMG_1664.JPG

Back
Top Bottom