Chickens head slowly rising while at rest

This is the head thing she does if you have any thoughts. You're probably right maybe it's just weakness since she hasn't been eating or drinking
If she isn't eating it could be from low blood sugar. Without energy the brain will shut down. She doesn't look to be suffering. It all depends on your husbandry on whether you let nature take it's course or you hurry it along. I've done both. I wish you the best.

If she isn't eating it could be from low blood sugar. Without energy the brain will shut down. She doesn't look to be suffering. It all depends on your husbandry on whether you let nature take it's course or you hurry it along. I've done both. I wish you the best.
When you let nature take its course did it usually take a while? Like several days?

When you let nature take its course did it usually take a while? Like several days?
Some took a long while, others can pass quickly. It all depends what's going on internally. A bird starving to death is a long process. If they have stopped eating we step in usually. I give most up to a week before I make the decision.

Some took a long while, others can pass quickly. It all depends what's going on internally. A bird starving to death is a long process. If they have stopped eating we step in usually. I give most up to a week before I make the decision.
I agree with this.

Not to mention that trying to get a bird to eat (that doesn't want to or lacks the strength to) risks aspirating the bird, and choking on food is a worse death than, say, cervical dislocation.

Once the bird gets to a point where it lacks the strength to eat, there isn't much that can be done outside of veterinary intervention, and sometimes the bird just isn't strong enough to survive with intervention.

If the bird has been off food to the point that it's so weak that it can't eat even if it wanted to, I (personally) would euthanize.

I agree with this.

Not to mention that trying to get a bird to eat (that doesn't want to or lacks the strength to) risks aspirating the bird, and choking on food is a worse death than, say, cervical dislocation.

Once the bird gets to a point where it lacks the strength to eat, there isn't much that can be done outside of veterinary intervention, and sometimes the bird just isn't strong enough to survive with intervention.

If the bird has been off food to the point that it's so weak that it can't eat even if it wanted to, I (personally) would euthanize.
I think she is strong enough to eat but just refusing it. I offered food earlier and she kinda played with it/pretended to eat

I took my hen back to the vet and she basically said she is too thin to be able to survive a surgery if that's what she would need so then they are looking at what's her quality of life aka looking at euthanasia. I asked if she's in pain and she said it's hard to tell but there's probably some discomfort at least. I don't wanna say goodbye I've never been so attached to any of my hens. I think natural death would take a long time it's been 13 days of no food and vet said she has gone from 1.6 - 1.3 in weight since then.

Thirteen days is a long time. I personally would have culled at a week.

Are you willing to pay for a surgery attempt? At this point she's going to die if nothing is done.

My 12-year-old Labrador had a pyometra (infection of the uterus) and the vet advised that she'd likely die simply because of how much pus was in her uterus (she was on the verge of a uterine rupture.) We were given the option of euthanasia, or attempting surgery (which she likely wouldn't survive.) Her age, the infection (bordering on septic,) her weakness, and the chance of rupture all gave her a low likelihood of survival.

This dog had been by my side since I was eight years old, and I wasn't ready to let her go yet. Almost 10k later and she's laying beside me as I write this. It was worth every penny.

My dog, however, doesn't show many signs of aging. She's in incredible health for her age -- no hip dysplasia, no hearing loss, no cataracts, no cancer. If she'd been, say, 14-16 and shown advanced aging symptoms, I'd have likely put her down.

If your hen has been in good health up until this point, then maybe a surgery can be attempted. She can be euthanized, or the vet can attempt a surgery to save her, in which case she still may die on the table. Either way will be a peaceful death, and much better than letting nature drag this out further.

It's up to you, and you have our deepest sympathies for being put in this position.

Back
Top Bottom