Chickens head slowly rising while at rest

mschickiemama

Songster
11 Years
Oct 6, 2011
Does anyone know what causes this? It started day before yesterday. She isn't drinking or eating anymore the past 2 days. Does that cause it? I don't know what to do. I have to decide whether to have her put to sleep. I'll try to post a video

Here is video:

Last edited:
It does sound sick. Here we cull sick birds. If it isn't eating or drinking it's only a matter of time before it passes. The head movement is probably from weakness.

Have you felt it to see how thin it is? Generally you check to see how prominent the breast bone is.

How old is this bird?

It does sound sick. Here we cull sick birds. If it isn't eating or drinking it's only a matter of time before it passes. The head movement is probably from weakness.

Have you felt it to see how thin it is? Generally you check to see how prominent the breast bone is.

How old is this bird?
She's 11 and prominent keel bone. Probably reaching end of life. I'm just wondering if the head thing is painful. It's hard to know

She's 11 and prominent keel bone. Probably reaching end of life. I'm just wondering if the head thing is painful. It's hard to know
It can be hard to judge when birds are in pain. They are good at hiding it. If you suspect it, it may be so. That's a good long life for a chicken. Sorry.

If she's eleven years old, then yes, I think you're right with assumption of her reaching the end of her life.

It's up to you whether or not you want to cull her, but if she hasn't eaten or drank and is continuing to deteriorate, I personally would simply so she doesn't feel the effects of hunger/dehydration until she passes.

If she seems fine otherwise and you're able to get her to eat or dream some (or you aren't comfortable culling her) you can simply give her someplace comfortable to rest until she passes on her own.

How old is this bird?
This is the head thing she does if you have any thoughts. You're probably right maybe it's just weakness since she hasn't been eating or drinking

If she's eleven years old, then yes, I think you're right with assumption of her reaching the end of her life.

It's up to you whether or not you want to cull her, but if she hasn't eaten or drank and is continuing to deteriorate, I personally would simply so she doesn't feel the effects of hunger/dehydration until she passes.

If she seems fine otherwise and you're able to get her to eat or dream some (or you aren't comfortable culling her) you can simply give her someplace comfortable to rest until she passes on her own.
I forced her to drink but she doesn't seem to want it or want food. Zero interest anymore. Heartbreaking

I forced her to drink but she doesn't seem to want it or want food. Zero interest anymore. Heartbreaking
For what it's worth, she doesn't seem to be in much pain. You should take solace in that. Eleven years is a long life. I'm sure it's been a good one with you.

It's up to you on where to go from here. I don't think she's actively suffering, so if you want to let her rest and go on her own terms, that's entirely understandable.

Back
Top Bottom