1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens help winterize coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tomato lady, Sep 29, 2009.

1. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    Here are some of my chickens. Don't feel sorry for them. They have lots of roost space and they are not cold. This is how they roost every night. I don't think they could get cold in a blizzard!

[​IMG]

I do have their coop draft free with lots of ventelation.

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    how cute

hopefully mine will start using the coop more as winter rolls around right now they mostly go up in the tree

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

4. CKMom

CKMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    cooped up
    tomato lady,
    Mine do the same thing. I went out last night and they are all squished together on a small portion of the roost, and there is 3 ft. of empty roost in the middle.

5. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine do the same thing...I have 15 chickens, about 17 feet of roosts. There will be a group of 4 huddled together in 18" of space, then empty roost for 3 feet, then a group of 5 or so in 2 ft of space...you get the idea:lol:

They even did this in the summer when the nights were still in the 80's!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  6. randomchick

randomchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Prescott, Ontario
    I think chickens prefer to snuggle. I have 2 roosters that snuggle together. Its kind of funny because at night is the only time you see them side by side, during the day they keep a slight distance, each having his own preference of ladies.

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Our neighbors chickens do the same thing. Mine spread out more. She'll have 11 chickens all squished between the wall and the nest boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by