Chicken's Howling at the Moon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Country Gal, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I woke up this morning to a loud noise coming from the backyard - it almost sounded like a goose honking.

I got out of bed and went to the window - it was coming from the chicken coop! All the chickens were honking and boking and making super loud chicken noises, which is not their normal behavior at 5:00 in the morning!

I rushed out there, thinking maybe a predator had gotten in. I opened the coop, and they're all just standing there making a rukus! I have one chicken in there that has been acting weird for the past week - she won't go on the roost and turns her neck at weird angles - but she only seems to act this way at night and first thing in the morning, during normal daylight hours, she acts completely normal.

Were they all getting ready to attack her? Or were they going a little crazy because I think we had a full moon last night? Does anyone else's chickens do this???

2. joebwe25

joebwe25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    Oh wow... no!
    That's very interesting.
    Never heard of it.
    Wish you luck!

3. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    I was told to expect my rooster to crow at night if there is a full moon! Perhaps the ladies joined in cause they couldn't sleep? [​IMG]

4. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    How old are your chickens? If they are just reaching laying age, they are probably announcing to the world that it is time to lay. You would think someone was trying to kill my chickens when it's laying time, with all the racket they make.

5. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I havent seen it either, perhaps she has "lunar madness"
    dont worry just put her in a rubber cell to knock around in!!!
    My dh's ex wife used to get that, a redhead with lunar madness, drunk at 10am isnt a pretty sight!!!
    Sorry back to topic, perhaps you need to cover the coop window with a dark cloth and see what happens then.
    Good luck

6. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Something may have spooked one of the chickens, who gave a warning call and woke the others.

Our roos don't hesitate to crow in the middle of the night either - whenever they're awake seems a good time for them.

-Frank

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Several of our 19 week old boys have begun "howling" at the neighbors security light between 1 and 3 a.m.. [​IMG] I keep expecting a complaint but he has no problem with them. Whew....

Dawn

8. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Wow, i've never heard of anything like that. Maybe you have ghosts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by