Chickens in Columbus,Ohio??

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DustinC36, Jan 15, 2018.

1. DustinC36

DustinC36 New Egg

Jan 15, 2018
    Hello everyone. Our family is currently in the research phase. We live in the north east part of Columbus Ohio. First, are we even allowed to have chickens in our neck of the woods? I've seen and heard of others in our neighborhood that have had chickens, but know nothing and where to start. Our family really wants to go the route of homesteading, but in a rural setting, so we thought raising chickens would be a good start. Looking for any help possible.

2. Welshies

Welshies Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    You can phone your county extension agent :)

3. DustinC36

DustinC36 New Egg

Jan 15, 2018
    How do we do that?

drumstick diva, 007Sean and rjohns39 like this.
  4. rjohns39

rjohns39 Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Dustin and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya
    You can find your extension agent somewhere around here. You'll also want to checkout your state thread. Lots of Ohio folks out here.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Dustin, and welcome to BYC. Type your state name in the search bar at the top of the page. Locate your state thread and post this question there. Hopefully someone will have the answer.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Good luck, I hope you can get a flock of birds soon! Meanwhile listen in on our chicken chat, ask lots of questions. Welcome aboard! :)

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi & :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Fingers crossed you are able to keep chickens in your area :fl

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

8. 007Sean

007Sean Flock Master Premium Member

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist Premium Member

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Do you know what your property is zoned? If not, you can generally find out online. This would be a good first step as laws would be dependent on zoning. If you are in town limits you will likely find the regulations on the town website. Searching including the words "zoning" "poultry" "fowl" or "livestock" usually produce good results as to the specific ordinances that would be applicable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by