Chickens In Kimonos

Thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome!

@ChicKat Thanks, and yes, Kaki means persimmon in Japanese, and it's the first part of my new surname. I took my wife's name when we married, and now I am Sean of the 'Field of persimmon trees'. Japanese names are like British ones, "grassy hill" or Rocky bridge". All very interesting if you are so inclined...

You're right about the (supposed) rooster being in the back, they are still young but look different.
On this very site I may have found my breed - Catalana. Eveything on that page describes my chooks, except I have never seen such a pointy egg...
Even if the breeds are the same, the names will likely be different.

Thank you very much for taking the time...

AND yes, I went to Kumamoto Castle just last week on a weekend trip! Have you seen it? I can send you photos if you like...

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Greetings from a fellow newbie, fellow Australian, and fellow Nihonophile (is that a word?) No idea what your chickens are, but they look lovely.

And congratulations on the new little 'chick' on the way too! If you like to feel bubs moving around, have you tried listening to the heartbeat too? Apparently you can often hear it if you put your ear directly to the bump, though it depends what potision bubs is in, and various other things, so don't worry if it doesn't work. I say apparently because I was never so flexible at to reach my own, but hubby tells me it works. I think that's from about 30 weeks onwards.

And good for you on taking the matrilineal name! Is that a Japanese custom? (whoops, sorry, off topic!)

welcome-byc.gif
I grew up in Japan - Tokuyama, no so far from you - I think? Anyway, that is where I had my first little flock of chickens with my family, and was the inspiration to get more when I had a place of my own with a big enough yard. I also had three Japanesse quail that I just loved. Enjoy your time there - what a lovely country.

Back
Top Bottom