Chickens in Lawrence, NJ?

nyCheesecake

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
I've been researching and gushing over all the fancy chicken coops everyone posted. DH and I decided we would welcome 3 pullet hens into our family to start. I couldn't find anything online about chicken ordinances in the past so I always figured it was legal. Today I decided to call just to double check. Now all our dreams and hopes for our little chicken family was crushed!!

When I called the township to inquire about getting a chicken coop and having a few for eggs and they told me that a coop has to be 100ft from each property line. 100 ft?!

I think this is the language they are referring to, Pg 55 of the pdf:

The minimum distance between an accessory building and any other building(s) on the same lot shall be as prescribed in Article IV except that no poultry or livestock shelter shall be erected closer than 100 feet to
any dwelling or lot line.

http://www.lawrencetwp.com/documents/luo/LUO_Complete_with_Hyperlinks_Upated 6152009.pdf

I've spoken with Animal Control and aside from noise complaints related to roosters, they have no issues with having chickens (aside from the Zoning Dept rules
barnie.gif
).

Now we have an acre of property with plenty of room for the little ones! Unfortunately, it's only 150ft wide. So therefore, we cannot possibly meet the 100ft restrictions. We'd be in violation no matter where we try putting It, even though it could easily be over 100ft from neighbors' houses.

And I guess it means I can't keep them in my porch either, since that would be 100 ft from "any" dwelling.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know. It was our dream to have chickens and I'm so sad to think we can't now.

Thank you!!!

Meanwhile I saw this sustainability report which was ALL for homesteading and having chickens...

http://www.lawrencetwp.com/documents/planning/Lawrence Sustainability Element.pdf

What a tease!!!!!!!!!!

AND....

A dog run or privacy area may have fencing a maximum of 7 feet in height
provided such area is located in rear yard areas only and is set back from
any lot line at least 15 feet.

Dog's are much more of a nuisance than chickens!!! our neighbors dog is constantly barking.

Last edited:
I feel just sick for you! I get more joy out of a handful of chickens than anything else I've ever had or done. They are my life! Of course I have a life with a husband and grown kids but actual joy comes from my flock. I wish there was a way for you to figure something out. Don't give up!!

Are you sure its 100feet from property line or 100feet from your neighbour house? My inspector in Burlington County NJ told me 25feet from property line and a 100 from the neighbour house.

Ardj, yes unfortunately the rules are specific for Lawrenceville.

The minimum distance between an accessory building and any other building(s) on the same lot shall be as prescribed in Article IV except that no poultry or livestock shelter shall be erected closer than 100 feet to any dwelling or lot line.

I WISH it was only 25ft from the property line, now that I could work with!

PS: So sorry for the insanely long response time. I didn't see the post until now
idunno.gif

Ardj, yes unfortunately the rules are specific for Lawrenceville.

The minimum distance between an accessory building and any other building(s) on the same lot shall be as prescribed in Article IV except that no poultry or livestock shelter shall be erected closer than 100 feet to any dwelling or lot line.

I WISH it was only 25ft from the property line, now that I could work with!

PS: So sorry for the insanely long response time. I didn't see the post until now
idunno.gif

I know this post is from 2 years ago but did you ever end up getting your chickens? They must have changed the regulation shortly after this because we were able to get a permit for 6, and I don’t remember there being such a silly obstacle.

Back
Top Bottom