Chickens in Manchester, CT!

Macola

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 12, 2010
Manchester, CT
Woo hoo! Residents of Manchester CT are now legally able to have backyard birds!! A max of 12 birds, no roosters allowed, no free ranging, and coops 15 feet from property lines.

Ok let's try this again!

The original poster to this thread does not have correct information regarding the recent changes to our town ordinance.

The following is directly taken from the Ordinance;

Hello! Not sure if you were directing your question at me or the thread starter but I can tell you that I have 12 Pullets and love them like they're any other pet I've owned. My neighbors are excited for fresh eggs and we recently started free ranging the girls and it's been going great!

Good Luck on convincing your Husband! We've been having so much fun with our Flock. I hope you get to experience the Joys of Chicken keeping too! I think coops are springing up all over town.
There is definitely a buzz over the new ordinance.

How long have you had your flock?

Hello! Not sure if you were directing your question at me or the thread starter but I can tell you that I have 12 Pullets and love them like they're any other pet I've owned. My neighbors are excited for fresh eggs and we recently started free ranging the girls and it's been going great!

Good Luck on convincing your Husband! We've been having so much fun with our Flock. I hope you get to experience the Joys of Chicken keeping too! I think coops are springing up all over town.
There is definitely a buzz over the new ordinance.

Woo hoo! Residents of Manchester CT are now legally able to have backyard birds!! A max of 12 birds, no roosters allowed, no free ranging, and coops 15 feet from property lines.

Hi,

Im a newer resident of Manchester, we are getting a coop and four chickens this weekend, but i was looking at the town ordinence and it says you are supposed to fill out a zoning application for the coop. Does anyone know if you really do? The form does not appear appropriate for a coop.

Thanks!

Meg

Congrats, now you need to look up the definition of free ranging. If you have a fenced in yard is that still considered free range?
Edit: after reading the above zoning ordinance my take away is as long as the birds stay on your property you are good to go. Sounds like once they are onto someone else's property that would classify as free range.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom